FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Whole hog pounds %: On the hoof compaired to dressed weight?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hydra Sports
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29 07 2:05 am    Post subject: Whole hog pounds %: On the hoof compaired to dressed weight? Reply with quote

I thought I saw this here but can not find the thread. What is the % of a whole hog on the hoof compaired to dressed. I thought I saw it here was something around 70%. So a 100 pound whole hog on the hoof was really like a 70 pound hog dressed out.

Am I correct in this figuring?

LOVE FISHIN & Q'in!!!

Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29 07 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

according to the national pork board, expect dressed weight to be 70% of live weight

here is a link to their hog-roast "How-to" section

http://www.theotherwhitemeat.com/aspx/all_about_pork/PorkDetails2.aspx?id=14

Take a look around, some good info in that site
Hogwild
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29 07 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry Nutczak wrote:
according to the national pork board, expect dressed weight to be 70% of live weight

It does change as the hog ages, though. I think (I'd have to look it up) that the 70% number is for a market weight (260ish) hog. Expect a little less if you're getting a smaller pig. Not much though....60-65% maybe.
toprowguy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29 07 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hydra how do you like that BQ Grill???? Just bought one myself, should receive by the middle of May. Any info on the cooker for me that will help me out about the new cooker???
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29 07 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the site I linked to, they have ratios of what to expect for workable cooked product from raw weight cuts, whole carcass, and the varying ratio's according to live weight differences.

There really is alot of interesting information on tht site for both the noob, and the experienced.
Hydra Sports
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30 07 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

toprowguy wrote:
Hydra how do you like that BQ Grill???? Just bought one myself, should receive by the middle of May. Any info on the cooker for me that will help me out about the new cooker???

I have to say I love thier cooker. It makes it soo easy plus with the big smoke box I can add as little or as much smoke as I wish.

What side did you get and with what options?

LOVE FISHIN & Q'in!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: