FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie Help w/ spicy sticks...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sardy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14 07 11:38 pm    Post subject: Newbie Help w/ spicy sticks... Reply with quote

Hi All--

(Sorry for the duplicate post---I posted this down in recipes, then realized that my question probably belogs here in sausage making...)

Wondering if you could offer some advice? I just made a small batch of spicy sticks. Here's the recipe I used (much of the seasoning were "eye-balled":

--2 pounds of sirloin tips (which I ground fine in my meat grinder
--8 habenero peppers and 3 jalepenos (I'm one of those nuts who loves stuff SPICY)
--1 cup pineapple juice
--1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
--1/4 cup soy sauce
--6 or so adshes of worcestshire
--6 dashes Tabasco
--2 tbsp crushed pepper flakes
--1 tbsp sea salt
--lots of ground black pepper
--1 tbsp mustard seed
--1/4 tsp cure
--2 tbsp minced garlic
--1 tsp onion powder
--1 tsp liquid smoke (I was gonna smoke them n my smoker, but it's raining/storming today, so I'm doing them in the oven)

Now here's my question:

I stuffed half of the batch in hog casings, and rolled the other half without casings. Both the sticks with casings and without are about the thickness of a hotdog.

What temperature should I keep the oven at (right now it's at about 170 and the door is cracked open---I put them in at room temp, and they've been in for about 10 minutes now)). And for how long should I cook them?

Thanks so much!!!

--Scott
www.myspace.com/sardy
rawtalent

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15 07 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let em cook til 150 internal temp. Takes 4 or so hours in my smoker. They will probably improve with a few days air drying.

11 hot peppers to 2 lbs meat? WHOA!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Sausage Making All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: