FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Curing question.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18 07 1:14 pm    Post subject: Curing question. Reply with quote

I have a few recipes for different sausages that require cure #1. Can i use Tender Quick in its place?
I did do a search and read that one should use 1 1/2 tsp per pound of meat and to reduce or eliminate the table salt thats in the recipes.
Is this correct?
Sorry if these questions have been asked a billion times but i want to be safe and sure before i mix up any batches.
Also ???
What is Phosphate and Asorbic Acid ??? both of these are listed as optional but why are they used?

Thank for the tips and tricks fellas.
Jeff T
rawtalent

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18 07 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cure #1 is a mixture of about 93% salt and 7% sodium nitrite. Tenderquik is a mix of salt, sodium nitrite, sodium nitrate, and sugar. I do not know how to convert to a Tenderquik recipe but 1 1/2 tsp salt per pound of meat is the basic sausage seasoning so by substituing 1 1/2 tsp TQ you will not achieve that level of salt in the sausage. I would find a recipe that specifies tenderquik.

Can't answer the question regarding phosphate or ascorbic acid but I have never found them necessary.
JimH
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19 07 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff, this is from Morton's website: http://www.mortonsalt.com/recipes/RecipeDetail.aspx?RID=45

It's a sausage recipe using 1&1/2 tsp of Tender Quick per lb and no additional salt.
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19 07 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, one thing i guess i could do is eliminate the cures and make it a fresh sausage huh?
rawtalent

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19 07 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff T wrote:
Thanks guys, one thing i guess i could do is eliminate the cures and make it a fresh sausage huh?

You sure can. The above referrenced recipe has no need for cure cause it is baked at 325 for an hour. I guess Morton is in the biz of selling tenderquik so that is to be expected. The TQ or cure will result in a pink sausage. There are some very good smoked kielbasa recipes around using TQ so I wouldn't limit yourself to fresh sausage.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Sausage Making All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: