FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chicken on gas

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Daddy
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29 05 9:03 am    Post subject: Chicken on gas Reply with quote

I for some reason enjoy my chicken cooked on gas, is this wrong? The taste of smoked chicken to me is over powering. Am I doing something wrong with chicken on my smoker?
dholcomb1946
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29 05 10:56 am    Post subject: Smoking Reply with quote

Must be. Leave the skin on while smoking, remove when serving. My chicks have a smoked taste that everyone seems to like, but it is not OVERPOWERING. It has the texture & color of ham. Maybe you are using too much wood, not enough charcoal.
Big Daddy
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29 05 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's the skin cause I don't take it off.
CHRIS 1237
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01 05 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never had a problem with to much of a smoke taste and all I burn in my silver smoker is apple wood.
Steve-O
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03 05 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you smoke it pull the skin off and put some sauce on for BBQ chicken. I"ve heard you can spray them with apple juice to keep the skin crispy, but have not tried it.

I still prefer rotisserie or beer up the butt chicken if I want to leave the skin on and each whole pieces....but I keep experimenting.
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04 05 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried spraying them last time and the skin still ended up inedible, like saran wrap or something.

If you think the chicken is too smokey, try making chicken salad with it and tell me if you think it is too smokey... That stuff will blow your mind. It has a narcotic factor or something.
LIAR #100
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04 05 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion....
Chicken takes on smoke differently than other meat. I think it`s cause chicken is kind of... taste less? Know what i mean. If i`m trying out a new or different type of wood i first try it on chicken cause you can really taste it. What i think tastes best is pecan wood for chicken gives it a nice smoke flavor but not over powering. Donno maybe it just me?
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04 05 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will take your word for it Jeffy as I cant get any pecan wood, only pellets and I wont use them. I like apple and cherry for chicken gives it a nice mild taste. I got to get the Wife to order me some as she has the credit card. Embarassed
LIAR #100
Steve-O
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04 05 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roxy wrote:
If you think the chicken is too smokey, try making chicken salad with it and tell me if you think it is too smokey... That stuff will blow your mind. It has a narcotic factor or something.

Do you have a certain chicken salad recipe that you prefer? I'd like to try it. I have smoked chicken and it tastes great off the smoker. But if you freeze it and then heat it up, it's not as good.
JimH
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05 05 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Chicken on gas Reply with quote

Big Daddy wrote:
I for some reason enjoy my chicken cooked on gas, is this wrong? The taste of smoked chicken to me is over powering. Am I doing something wrong with chicken on my smoker?

Well you are rendering the chicken fat differently when you cook on direct heat Vs. indirect heat. When you grill chicken what you taste is the smoke that the fat makes as it burns on your charcoal or ceramic brikettes. When you smoke a chicken you are tasting wood smoke, the fat does not burn and it just melts away imparting little taste. Use a little less wood for flavor or use a milder wood, as was said above, chicken is a blank slate/palette. As far as crispy skin is concerned, the only way to get that on a smoker is to expose the chicken to high heat on a grill in your firebox or next the the firebox inlet. I don't bother with that because I'd rather not take the chance that I'll dry out the meat.
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05 05 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve-O wrote:

Do you have a certain chicken salad recipe that you prefer? I'd like to try it. I have smoked chicken and it tastes great off the smoker. But if you freeze it and then heat it up, it's not as good.

Check the chicken recipe section.... Just for you my friend, I will make you a cook if it kills me... Wink
LIAR #100
adolpho
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10 05 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always smoke an extra chicken so my wife can turn it into chicken salad. Chicken salad from a smoked chicken is deeeeeeelicious!
This is all she does:
Dices up the chicken (no skin, or bones for that matter)
Dices up a couple of boiled eggs
Adds 2 parts mayonaise to one part miracle whip (I won't give an exact amount since some of you might like it wetter or dryer)
Stirs it up and WALLAH!!
Sometimes she even adds diced bacon. YUMMY!
bigabyte
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11 05 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't it great how few ingredients are needed to make something good when you use smoked meats?
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11 05 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn`t that the truth woodoggy....
Thats why i`m such a no sauce kinda guy between the rub and smoke what more do ya need. Wink
GTgrillers

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12 05 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You notice that the topic of cooking chiks on gas...Quickly changed over to everyone talking about smoking them...man a lil butter on the outside..along with the rub of your choice....smoked for a few hours.....nice...
jsdesign1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23 05 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what kind of smoker you have, but you might try letting the wood burn down a little more to get the heavy smoke burnt off before you put the chicken on. when it's still bulching that heavy smoke it can give meat an off taste. try using pecan or apple or if you can get some peach. if you are using charcoal and wood chunks, don't add any wood after about 2 hrs. maybe this will help Smile
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23 05 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GTgrillers wrote:
You notice that the topic of cooking chiks on gas...Quickly changed over to everyone talking about smoking them...man a lil butter on the outside..along with the rub of your choice....smoked for a few hours.....nice...

Once you've had it smoked there is no other way to do chicken.
LIAR #100
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Grilling All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: