FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Texas Style Smoked Sausage

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JR Texas

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24 07 12:50 pm    Post subject: Texas Style Smoked Sausage Reply with quote

Howdy........I have never made smoked sausage. But would like to know a good recipe for Texas style smoked sausage...the kind served in most of the BBQ places. I do not know how to post pictures of what I want. But, maybe if you surf to Sonny Bryan's in Dallas you will see images of it. I am sure it is made from pork, but other than that I have no idea. Would like to make it without natural casings. Thanks in advance.[/img]
rawtalent

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25 07 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The smoked sausage served in BBQ joints in Tx is basically smoked polish sausage with less or no garlic and a little more black pepper. Home sausage makers often kick up the heat with cayenne or other hot pepper.
JR Texas

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26 07 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks......I will Google "polish sausage" and see if I can find out how to make it.

Actually, I am thinking about opening a smoked BBQ place in either Thailand, Cambodia or Vietnam (probably Cambodia or Vietnam given Thailand has gone insane in terms of its visa and business rules.....basically, no foreigners wanted).

The main issue is availability of quality ingredients.

Best wishes...........
JR Texas

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26 07 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stupid question? Is there any way to make Texas style (Polish) smoked sausage without putting the meat in casings?

I was thinking about the popular Jimmy Dean brands......he apparently cuts pork into small pieces, puts the pieces through a grinder, adds spices, then packs them inside some plastic-like casing.........then you fry them up like small hamburgers.

Is there any way to do it so it sort of looks like Texas smoked sausage but without the casing? Really...........I have never worked with sausage and would rather buy them........but I need to know my options. Thanks.
allsmokenofire
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26 07 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way to do a skinless sausage is through an extruder. Most good butcher/meat purveyors should have one. The problem will be getting them to do a custom sausage for you in a small enough quantity to make it feasible. If you already have a sausage in mind from a particular vendor, just ask them if the have an extrusion attachment to make you a skinless sausage.
JR Texas

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27 07 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a follow-up after doing some more research........is it possible to make Texas-style smoked sausage using cheesecloth casings?

I am thinking that, perhaps, you could grind the meat and add the spices, etc., then put it in a water-vinegar soaked cheesecloth......roll it into the typical shape.

Then put the cheesecloth/sausage in a smoker on racks on very low heat.......let the outside cook and get smoke (become firm to retain shape), then remove the cheesecloth, turn up the heat and finish them.

Will it work? Thanks.
rawtalent

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27 07 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if using cheesecloth casings will work or not.

If you don't use hog casings to stuff the sausage you will not get the same appearance or "bite" as texas smoked sausage.

Cambodians may not notice tho...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Sausage Making All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: