FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thermometer Mod on Chargrillers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thomas P.
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16 05 3:18 pm    Post subject: Thermometer Mod on Chargrillers Reply with quote

How far off is the standard Chargriller thermometer? If it's "about 25 degrees higher," which I read on one post, couldn't I just gauge from there?

What type of thermo do you use for the mod? Do you just drill a hole and insert a standard stem probe thermo?

GO VOLS!
sledgehammer03
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17 05 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a Char-Broil Pro Thermometer at Home Depot, it required a 13/16" port. Just drilled out an unused hole on the stack side of the cooking area, just beneath the grates. I find that the OEM therm varies by 25-60 degrees, depending on the weather. If the wind id blowing the top seems to cool off more. I don't know if it was really necessary, but for a rookie, I made some great briskets. Very Happy
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17 05 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you get rid of your char-griller thermometer look on the back. Many of their “pro” units have an adjustment nut on them. You can check your temp with another trusted thermometer and adjust the unit one to match.
smoke jumper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18 05 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to check if a thermometer is accurate just boil some water and place it in. While its boiling it should read 212* Smile

SJ
DawgPhan
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18 05 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is he asking if the thermometer just reads wrong or if it reads at the wrong place. If he wants a grate level temp and the thermometer is in the hood he isnt gettting the temp he wants. Why would char grill put a thermometer in a grill that didnt work?
Capt Ajax
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19 05 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some sound advice from one VOL to another.

Get a cordless digital thermometer. You can carry the portable unit with you and know what the temp is both in the smoking chamber and in the meat from up to 100 feet away.
Have to take a dump....for 30 minutes, no problem!
Mowing the grass, no problem!
Watching "Mail Call" on the HIstory Channel and Gunny threatens you before the comercial, no problem!

I have a Lang model 60 with a Tru-Tell thermometer and it always read about 10 degrees hotter that the actual grill surface, but it cooks MIGHTY FINE OOOOORRRAAAA!
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20 05 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My char-broil was off by 60 degrees on the high side, now I just compensate for the difference. I'm going to check for that adjustment nut so maybe I can get it set right.
LIAR #100
BBQ Billy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20 05 12:40 pm    Post subject: Tel-Tru BBQ & food service thermometers Reply with quote

If you're interested in a good quality repalcement thermometer I have a 15% discount code for Tel-Tru industrial thermometers.
I hate to reuse my posts from other discussion boards but I REALLY hate having to type the same thing again so here you go...

I'd like to share some first hand information and a discount of 15% OFF Tel-Tru BBQ, Food Service, and Non-Contact Thermometers.
First of all my line of work is in Information Technology and I have a backgroud in Electronics Engineering, manufacturing, and quality control. I'm not employed by Tel-Tru but I'm very impressed with their products and their high level of customer service.

I recently purchased the Tel-Tru BQ300 3" glow dial thermometer with 2.5" stem which I mounted in the lid opposite the vent on my WSM smoker. It looks great, I can see the temperature from inside my house, and I'd swear the luminescent dial needs to be tested for nuclear properties... if I hadn't seen how they are made. Thats right I toured Tel-Tru's facilities, met the people who produce these instruments, and witnessed the quality manufacturing processes. I live in Rochester, NY where Tel-Tru has their manufacturing facilities so I took the opportunitiy toour their operations and meet the people who custom build each thermometer to order.

Tel-Tru has been around since 1916 and everyone I met with in their organization has worked with the company more than 19 years. The process controls in place at each of their workstations, from raw materials to finished product, are top of the line. I'm an electronics engineer and have worked in electronics manufacturing so I have a good idea of quality product and process when I see it. Their products are built in Rochester, NY with American labor and raw materials so I'm proud to be able to offer my BBQ peers a 15% discount on a product you will probably own for a lifetime!

When you purchase something from their BBQ, Food Service, or Non-Contact themometers just use the promotional code of BBP705 when you place your order between now and 10/31/05. They agreed to extend this offer through October 2005 becasue I wanted to make sure we covered the bulk of the prime BBQ season.

If you have questions, please let me know as I will happily share information on this quality product and the fine individuals who allowed me to share the 15% discount!

http://www.teltru.com/
http://www.teltru.com/barbecue.asp

Promotional Code BBP705
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: