FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

question about cabelas 30# stuffer?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gmbhorner

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01 07 8:22 am    Post subject: question about cabelas 30# stuffer? Reply with quote

hello everyone, great site here, very informative. last year i bought the cabelas 30# stuffer after years of using a small 5#, i love the stuffer but everytime i use it i loose about a pound or so of meat at the bottom that will stay there and not come out the tube. anyone here have any tricks to this little problem? thanks in advance
gil

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01 07 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stuffing the remains by hand is about your only option . I have taken my jerky gun& used that on the remains also. Have you stuffed sticks with it? I had a hard time with sticks & the added pressure.
gmbhorner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02 07 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i haven't tried the smaller sticks yet...i see what u mean though...for that reason i stuff a fatter stick at 24mm, and i have no problem, plus i like the sticks that size compared to a 19mm. i wanna get better tubes for the stuffer though, i dont like the 2 peice tappered that came with the stuffer. what about layering the bottom of the stuffer with excess fat trimmings? that might work....
broncosmoker
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12 07 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: question about cabelas 30# stuffer? Reply with quote

gmbhorner wrote:
hello everyone, great site here, very informative. last year i bought the cabelas 30# stuffer after years of using a small 5#, i love the stuffer but everytime i use it i loose about a pound or so of meat at the bottom that will stay there and not come out the tube. anyone here have any tricks to this little problem? thanks in advance

I have a LH and had the same problem. I called them up and got another disk and gasket. Went down to the local plastic store and bought some 1x1x1 inch square pieces and glued them on. When I get towards the bottom I bring the piston up and put this in the bottom with them pegs now up and then crank down and press the rest out.
gmbhorner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17 07 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that a great idea...do you like the tubes it came with? i wanna get straight tubes with no taper
broncosmoker
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17 07 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the taper tubes personally makes it easier to pull the casings over and move them up the tubes. I would think it would also help prevent them from tearing if they are tapered. I have an extra set of tubes as well. We have a sausagefest ( that sounds so wrong, kinda like butt juice) every three months and usually make 100-200 lbs of sausage at a time so found it better and quicker to have extra tubes.
ChileFarmer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17 07 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gmbhorner wrote:
that a great idea...do you like the tubes it came with? i wanna get straight tubes with no taper

Just wondering what would be the advantage of straight tubes. I don't have much experience at all. so looking to learn. CF
gmbhorner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18 07 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have no problem with tapered when it comes to a fatter natural 35-38 hog casings, but when i make snack sticks, i use a 24mm collagen casing and its hard to work with the smallest tapered tube the stuffer came with. thought a nice 3/8 7" straight would be nice, then you could just slide the whole sleeve right on and not have to worry about ripping due to the taper
broncosmoker
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18 07 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That might work, maybe even take a file and round down the edges a little bit, just to knock down the edge from any chance of it snagging the casing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Sausage Making All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: