FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Italian Sausage for Jim H

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rob p

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02 07 8:22 am    Post subject: Italian Sausage for Jim H Reply with quote

My grandfather used to make sausage, press wine, and grow cabbages to sell in the neighborhood, coming from Italy to work as a coal porter for the Barrington Brickyard. There are a lot of old Italian families here and I have cooked with many who know traditional Italian food. I am astonished by the number of ingredients that go into Italian sausage recipes. As the Soprano's say "Don't buy Italian Sausage with Sun Dried Tomatoes or Broccoli Rabe."

My Grandfather and Mother along with many would tell you that real Italian Sausage contains four seasonings: Salt, Pepper, Garlic, and Fennel. That's it. No red wine, coriander, rosemary, caraway seeds, onion powder, oregano...
My Grandmother would grind pork with a hand grinder and stuff sausage with a funnel and a the handle of a spoon. It was good too.

For 5 pounds of ground pork butts, I add 4t salt, 2t Pepper, 2t Minced Garlic and 2t Fennel Seeds (which I crack in a spice mill). I have two cracked teeth from a fennel seed I crunched eating store bought sausage. Make a little patty and fry it up to taste and season if necessary.

The proper way to cook Italian Sausage is to grill it in big long coils. Along side, grill sliced yellow and orange bell peppers, and quartered onions. Everything goes on rolls like the street vendors on Federal Hill on the Feast of Saint Joseph. Leftovers get chopped up and into the sauce, or heated up with fried potatoes and a little sauce.

You wonder if it's good, I'm not 270 pounds for nothing!
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02 07 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have everything listed in teaspoons, that seems really light on the seasonings to me.

is that correct? or should it be Tablespoons?

I got to agree on the four basic seasonings are the basis of a great sausage. But sometimes you got to change it up like a calabrese variety with peppers & cheese. or add some heat.

Do you prefer a coarse ground like I do, or are you the fine grind type of guy?
rob p

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03 07 5:57 am    Post subject: more Italian Reply with quote

I think my teaspoons are ok. It's not super strong. You could use it for three pounds and see. Add more butt if you like. I have a "Sicilian" sausage recipe that keeps the garlic and pepper the same but uses 4T of salt (I'm not big on salt) and 3t of fennel seeds. I break up fennel in the spice mill and measure it out so I probably get a bit more, but I use this recipe to make Italian venison sausage in the fall. It's good. After mixing a batch, I make a patty and fry it though. I am cooking for 200 Saturday, my hunting and fishing club's annual pork bbq, and I'm making a hundred pounds of the other sausage I posted (best I ever had). As to the grind, I grind everything coarse. I also try to cook sausage in big rings on the grill. When we were kids (I'm 37), we would spend days outside putting up tomatoes, shell beans, eggplant... We would always stick ears of corn in the canning fire coals and grill sausage and peppers. Family tradition.
JimH
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05 07 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rob, it's in the file!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Sausage Making All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: