FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Building a smoker in the back of a truck

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pnankivell

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18 05 11:59 am    Post subject: Building a smoker in the back of a truck Reply with quote

I know by the subject heading it sounds crazy, but I want honest opinions as to whether it's possible and if you've seen any. I have an old late 80's Chevy pickup with a cabin built on the back. I basically want to convert the cabin into a huge smoker. I've included pics to show you what i'm working with. The cabin is 3 ft. tall, 6 ft deep, and 5 ft. wide. I'd have to remove the plastic flatbead lining obviously (amongst other things). I'm concerned also that since the top is made of fiberglass, that could become an issue. All the cracks are perfectly sealed though and the set-up seems almost perfect. Let me know what ya'll think....thanks in advance
Paul

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b155/pnankivell/IMG_0838.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b155/pnankivell/IMG_0840.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b155/pnankivell/IMG_0842.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b155/pnankivell/IMG_0841.jpg
OkieJay
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19 05 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know that I have ever seen or heard of a smoker with a fibreglass top. If you are going to be BBQing (over 200 degrees) I would wonder if some type of chem vapors will get into you food. If you are cold smoking, it may be OK.

Don't really know on this one, kind of off the wall.

For what it's worth,
Jay
pnankivell

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19 05 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea, that's the part i'm figuring will be the toughest...I'm trying to figure a way to seal it or cover it that won't be hazardous...
thanks for the feeback...

paul
allsmokenofire
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19 05 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you planning on driving the truck once its been converted??
doogie494
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19 05 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could probably find an old aluminum cap for it
pnankivell

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19 05 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes i was planning on driving the truck. In my ideal world, I'd get the smoker going around 9 a.m. and head out to start tailgating around 4 or 5 p.m.....I know driving the thing poses it's own problems, however I think with the right suspension and a perfectly built cabin, this could work...
thanks,

paul
OkieJay
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19 05 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed you are in California. Your not going to all this trouble to smoke some tofu are you? Laughing
roxy
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19 05 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know man... I think you been smokin some of that mountain herb. I would go with the aluminium lid and dump the fiberglass. You could convert it to a desiel engine and pump the exaust back into the cab, use that for smoke, sort of kill two birds with one stone as it were... Laughing Laughing Laughing

You got to be joking right..??
LIAR #100
pnankivell

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19 05 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smokin tofu...sure....that's all we do out here in Los Angeleeeezzz...eat Tofu, salad, and sushi...I smoke every Sunday and do every piece of meat you could imagine. Anyhow, I guess this is just one big joke to everybody. I guess nobody is serious enough about smoking to think this may actually be a cool idea. Once it's done i'll post some pics...

paul
OkieJay
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19 05 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pnankivell wrote:
smokin tofu...sure....that's all we do out here in Los Angeleeeezzz...eat Tofu, salad, and sushi...I smoke every Sunday and do every piece of meat you could imagine. Anyhow, I guess this is just one big joke to everybody. I guess nobody is serious enough about smoking to think this may actually be a cool idea. Once it's done i'll post some pics...

paul

Did not mean to offend.
I would be happy to give you some useful advice, if I had any to give.

The only thing that I can come up with is, get a pair of steel pickup toolboxes. Mount them in back, join them on one end, put coals and wood in one box and meat in the other. Or if you can find one of those contractors job boxes (the big steel ones) that would make a good sized smoker and you could roll it up some ramps into the back of a pickup.

But the fibreglass topper would scare me.
Jay
allsmokenofire
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19 05 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, If your gonna be driving it in addition to smoking with it, I would consider moving the fuel tank as far away from the firebox as possible. Cool
pnankivell

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19 05 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the replies guys...very helpful info...the fiberglass top does scare me to and i'm thinkin of a way to seal it. In my ideal world, I'd like to set up the charcoal and wood chips on the bottom, and then a huge grill between the pickup and the cabin. In terms of driving it, I'm slowly starting to rule that out for two reasons - a) the cops are gonna be on my ass if I'm driving a truck that's got smoke comin out and b) the mixture of charcoals and a fuel doesn't sound so safe...oh well, we'll see what happens. Thanks for all the input guys...didn't mean to come off as an ass...

paul
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27 05 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is some serious (for what's it worth) advice. The fiberglass top has got to go! Crying or Very sad The resins from the glass epoxy will leach out with the heat. An aluminum topper is a good idea if you just have to go through with it! I have seen some pretty creative grills built from old chevy's and fords, usually using the front half of the vehicle. Allsmoke is right on the fuel tank- they are located toward the back of your truck, and not a good combination. You might also check the DMV rules to avoid run-ins with the po-po man later on! Shocked If you are planning on putting all the effort into making this work, I would suggest a classic vehicle that will be a conversation piece and a work of art (not that yer' old truck isn't a "classic"!) Send some pics when its done. Please dont send samples if you keep the fibergalss lid! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: