FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My experience with the new Masterbuilt electric smoker oven

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aballard

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29 05 1:47 am    Post subject: My experience with the new Masterbuilt electric smoker oven Reply with quote

I received my new smoker oven a couple of days ago, got it seasoned and decided on a brisket for the first round.
This is the new masterbuilt electric smoker oven being offered through Cabelas and Bass Pro for $200.00 + s.h.
It is a bar type refridgerator that has been covered and lined with metal.
It has a digital thermostat and timer and a unique wood loading chute that accepts about one cup of chips.
The seasoning process went fine, no smoke leaks to speak of, little wisps near the wood chute only.
I put the brisket in last night, set the timer for 10 hours with a temp of 200.
When I checked this morning, I noted that the refidgerator seal around the door was "buckeled" and leaking smoke and condensation liquid.
When I opend the door to inspect the seal, it was twisted and deformed. I tried smoothing and repositioning it, but when I continued to cook, it just deformed again.
I think they had a good idea with this smoker, but it has some very specific design flaws.
I am going to return it to Cabelas tomorrow and start shopping for another smoker.
I need an electric smoker-oven that is insulated, seals and can be left "un-tended" and can hold a couple of shoulders or briskets.
I have, and still use, a large off-set wood/charcoal smoker, but I find that my schedule doesn't allow me to use it as much as I would like to.
I have always felt that the Cookshack and Smokin-Tex were overpriced units for what they are, and thought for $200.00, the Masterbuilt would be a good choice; guess not.
Does anyone have any experience with the Cookshack or Smokin-Tex?
Have you ever had problems with leaking condensation, or any other problems? Which one would you recommend?
I think the Smokin-Tex is made in China, whereas the Cookshack is made in the US.
Are they really worth the money?
Has anyone tried the Harbor Freight smoker oven, also probably made in China? They are selling for $249.00 on line, it looks like the others, but I don't know, I am learning that you really do get what you pay for.
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
A. Ballard
RH

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31 05 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I purchased a Cookshack Model 50 for times (like you stated) when I wouldn’t be able to do my Q on my offset. I have had it for a little more than two years now, and it does an excellent job with no problems. The Cookshack people are very helpful if you have any questions.

If you go to Cookshack’s forum you will find many discussions comparing the Smokin-Tex and the Cookshack Model’s 008/009. There seem to be many comparable traits. I selected the Model 50 for its additional size. Cookshack has a new model coming out that will have a lot more bells and whistles along with a higher price tag.

RH
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: