FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

re-heating ribs and holding

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hog wild bbq
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02 07 6:57 pm    Post subject: re-heating ribs and holding Reply with quote

I have been working to find the best way to re-heat ribs:

The problem: I don't know until customers come in to order them how many I will need for the day and I dont want them sitting too long. I also dont want them to wait too long either, as the restaurant is more like a fast food setting.

I have tried holding them in a hot box with in a pan with apple juice and water with a screen to keep the ribs out of the mixture with a lid they hold well enough but what if I dont sell any that day and have to re-heat again?

Right now to heat them I put them in the smoker at 250 and they are hot in 15 mins but that is a little long to have a customer wait (I think) to heat them to order

This is a new business and I want the ribs to be good all the time but keeping good ribs ready is proving difficult

Any suggestions would be more than helpful
Thanks
lantern
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02 07 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foil is your friend in this situation. You're going to have to individually foil your racks if you want to make "fast food" type ribs.

That way you can increase the temps to lower the reheat times without drying them out and add a spritz of apple juice if drying is still a problem.

....Funny thing is when I read the thread title I thought you were just asking about ribs for you. I was like, FINALLY, I get to tell somebody that my FLAVORWAVE oven is the greatest rib reheater in the world! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Ryzin' Smoke

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02 07 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The secret to a great restaurant is to keep your food as fresh a possible. Keep track of your rib sales everyday. The numbers will tend to repeat themselves on a day vs day basis on comparison. In other words, Tuesdays will be like Tuesdays, and Friday's will tend to be like Fridays.

You need to find a way to sell off any leftover ribs you have, so you can keep your steam table fresh. Carolina Hash is a great side dish. Buck a bone is a good promotion for a lunch special. We've even invented a Rib Spaghetti, a Rib stuffed potato etc.

Ribs and chicken should be made fresh everyday. The leftovers need to find their way to another source of income.

If you track your sales, you'll find yourself doing much less guessing on what to produce for the day. "One to grow on" is our motto for prep.

Just my .02

Ryzin' Smoke
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02 07 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Ryzin, leftover ribs should be utilized in another dish. One reason is due to the fact that by the end of the day they could be overdone or in the process of drying out. I have shredded mine in the past (pulled then put in processor) added a small can of green chile and made rib sandwiches or sloppy joes. Other recipes could include breakfast burritos, hash, chile, or omelets. If you choose this route, you can open up new markets that you might not have had. A good example of this is the dog crowd. Save your bones in the fridge and sell them as bag-o-bones for dogs. This will bring customers to your restaurant to buy “treats” for their pets. As far holding temps, many restaurants will wrap their ribs in saran wrap and place in a warmer for the day. The wrap holds in the initial moisture and does not let it escape. However, this can also make the ribs mushy if done for too long.
hog wild bbq
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03 07 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

please keep the replies coming as I am taking all ideas and hoping to put something together that is reasonable for me and the customer, I did get the response that maybe ribs are not right for this environment and i did not initally have them on the menu for fear of not having a good product, but customer demand that a BBQ restaraunt must have Ribs.

The process of smoking them one day and serving the next is the way I am sure all restaruants do it as very few can smoke and serve and stay in business from a cost point of view, ribs at $3.00 a lb does not make good sense in soup or left overs as removing the bone makes ribs $6.00 a lb or more and that will break most establishments with food costs going that bad.

So I am still trying to find the happy midway point where maybe the customers wait for a 10 to 15 mins for ribs to be served after being ordered.

As a side note I would never and have never used a microwave to heat or cook anything, but most people dont realize over 50% of restraunts do take a look in the back, if there is more than one microwave they are not just reheating employees coffee they are using it as the cooking process

Thanks again for all the ideas
Ryzin' Smoke

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03 07 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are determined to keep reheats on the menu, most of the commercial establishements will cook the ribs completely, let them cool, wrap them and wait for the customer to order. At that point they are put onto a techgrill of some kind to warm up and be sauced. If you are not going to hold them hot, you are best served to bring them from cool to service. Neither ribs nor chicken can tolerate long hold times and still provide high quality product.

Most mid to high volume restaruants are not necessarily concerned with highest quality food. Their main focus should be good food, properly handeled, and taking good care of the customer when they visit their establishments. As an operator, if you can take care of those tasks, you will be a success.

Ryzin' Smoke
Serial Griller
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03 07 5:21 am    Post subject: reheat ribs Reply with quote

I don't own a BBQ restaurant but took a class from someone who did.
He said something magical happens to ribs that are foiled and held in the fridge over night. He takes them out of the frige and applies BBQ sauce re covers them in foil and reheats on a 250' grill..takes 8-10 minutes.
I also have put them in a microwaveable container with sauce and heated them in a couple of minutes. They are fine for me. Some will not agree with that. Do a test..see if you can tell the difference.
I know the true die-hards will not agree with the above.. sometimes I don't have time or want to deal with firing up the grill..I just want to eat!

LGE BGE
Small BGE
Traeger Lil Tex
Weber Kettle 22.5"
Hasty-Bake Legacy
Weber Spirit E-320
OddThomas
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03 07 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: reheat ribs Reply with quote

wings55 wrote:
I know the true die-hards will not agree with the above.. sometimes I don't have time or want to deal with firing up the grill..I just want to eat!

I'd do this for myself... at home, but we're talking about a restaurant here. I'd rather have fresh food for my money and if I knew the food was day old, I'd probably never go eat there. I mean seriously, would you knowingly pay for a day old burger, steak, or piece of chicken?
1ribmaster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03 07 6:19 am    Post subject: reheat ribs... Reply with quote

during the summer i had a small road side stand, sold ribs and PP sandwiches, sold ribs and i also took orders for ribs and told the customers that they would be done at a certain time or set some ribs aside for them to be picked up at a certain time and that seemed to work for me.all my sales we gone in 45 mins to a hr and half... Laughing Exclamation
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: