FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Quality Knives and Butcher Utensils???
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BishopRyan
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05 07 11:35 pm    Post subject: Quality Knives and Butcher Utensils??? Reply with quote

What are you guys using? I have a couple of stainless steel knives but I'm not real happy with them, they were cheap so my expectations weren't huge to begin with. Even sharpened up I didn't care for how they cut through my ribs this weekend.

Something big and butcher style would be fun. What do you guys go into battle with?
Teleking
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06 07 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One word and it aint going to be cheap “Wusthof”

http://www.chefscatalog.com/brand/wusthof.aspx

“The Bride of Franken Smoker”
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06 07 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some guys like standard cleavers, Chinese cleavers, & large scimitar blades.

I like to use my 8" Henckels french knife for almost all of my work.

If you plan on spending the money to purchase quality knives like Henckels, Wusthoff, & Forschner. Please take the time to learn the correct sharpening techniques to care for these blades. never use a mechanical grinder to sharpen them.
A steel for straightening the edge is also a must for any qualty steel blade.

The main thing for knives is to make sure it is comfortable and has the correct feel in your hands. Do not purchase by brand or cost alone, or for a status symbol of having a $100.00 knife from Solingen Germany.
BishopRyan
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06 07 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just looks good.

http://www.chefscatalog.com/product/93745-wusthof-culinar-santoku.aspx

So where can one go for quality knife sharpening tips? I don't mind spending 100 or 150 on a knife but I'd prefer not to destroy it. So what sharpening equipment is a must have?

The knife I use now is pretty banged up and the sharping tool I have is a cheap 5 dollar plastic special that probably does more harm than good.
stetch
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06 07 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a relatively generic set of Henkels which does the trick, but they dull fast.

I have an internet-friend who is a CIA graduate and says you won't get better knives than these for this price or double or quadruple the price:

http://www.knifeoutlet.com/shop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=FORFCHEF

and they are priced very well. I know of others who have purchased these and loved them.

i've no personal experience with them. yet.
Teleking
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06 07 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a one of these.

Link

When it gets close to shaving point move to a sharpening steel:

http://www.knifecenter.com/knifecenter/sharpen/instruct.html

once you can shave with it I finish it on a piece of leather.

It’s all about practice, practice, practice to get the angle consistent and even across the blade. I have been obsessive about sharpening knives since age 12. You can be assured that if you pick up a knife in my house you can shave with it.

I had just touched up my Wusthof 8” slicer and my mom-in-law slipped and dropped it. I had visions of the emergency room as she tried to catch it. Luckily after the wife and I started to yell she let it drop on the floor and escaped without injury. Just imagine what an 8” razor blade could do to you.

All of the knives that Harry mentions are quality. I just went with Wusthof because I got a 3 knife starter set on sale and stuck with those. I now own 4 of them and adding a new one to the collection as the budget allows.

Be careful of what Grade you buy because both Wusthof and Henkles have different grades. I have the Wusthof Classic which are all hand made. The Wusthof Gourmet line are all stamped from the same steel but not hand made. Hence the cost difference. All of the Wusthof knifes I have purchased came out of the package with the ability to shave.

Hell Fire Grill
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06 07 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a small bit of info I found a while back.
http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=26036
jdeuel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06 07 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I love the hollow-ground Santoku knives. Nothing sticks to 'em, and they're substantial enough to take some abuse.
istock74
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06 07 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teleking wrote:
One word and it aint going to be cheap “Wusthof”

http://www.chefscatalog.com/brand/wusthof.aspx

I was given the 9pc block set for christmas a couple years back. I really like them. That being said I have no experience with any other high quality knives. As for pricing, yes they are spendy but look around. The 9 pc set on this site is going for 399 and one of the dept stores in Omaha has the same set on sale right now for 199.
UDS
Weber Performer
Teleking
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06 07 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I highly doubt that the Wusthof CLASSIC set is on sale for $199. If it is go buy 4 of them for me I will send you a check. I’ll sell them on e-bay and double my money!

This is the classic line which is hand made.

http://www.chefscatalog.com/product/22679-wusthof-knife-block.aspx

This is the Gourmet line which is stamped. There is a big difference in design and quality.

http://www.chefscatalog.com/product/11710-wusthof-gourmet-knife-block.aspx

Other than being stamped the handle is different and will change the weight and balance of the knife. The gourmet line is stamped using the same metals and should retain sharpness just the same. The gourmet line may be suitable for some but is a ford pinto compared to the Porsche Classic line. The ford pinto classification also include the Emeril Line.

istock74
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06 07 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup i stand corrected just checked the add again. My set is the classic and not the gourmet as you pointed out. The knives in the add clearly have the cheaper handle and it says in the add they are stamped so my bad. As i said I got my knives as a gift so I had no idea what they cost. I was not trying to call into question anything you said, it's obvious you have much more experience with quality knives than I do. Just trying to be helpful.
UDS
Weber Performer
Teleking
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06 07 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you were very helpful because you proved the point that I was trying to make. That is pay close attention to the cutlery your buying as not all is created equal, even by brand name. I have three Classic and one Grand Prix. The Grand Prix line is also hand made of the same steel as the classic. I got the Grand Prix 8” slicer because they discontinued the line for the Grand Prix II and it was 50% off. Same steel and quality just a different handle and hey 50% off.

You got some good friends and family to give you some quality cutlery like that. Do you have any openings in your family. Very Happy

istock74
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06 07 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah but i do have a loaded brother who feels guilty because hes never around. Very Happy You are right though compared to the set i have I probably would not be as happy with the cheaper set.
UDS
Weber Performer
gotwood
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06 07 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I like the Henckels
I've bought ceramic knives for my mother/aunt and they seem great too.

But my favorite is the sanduko style Henckel
cwall1313
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06 07 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got zwilling-henckels, wusthof's, and Shun's. I like the Shun's by far the best for regular use. However, for trimming, slicing, and butchering meat, I use the Forschner 9in simitar butcher knife and the Forschner boning knife. These two are work horses and can stand up to a lot of punishment. I sharpen once a year and use the honing steel every other time. I highly recommend them. You can generall get them used off of ebay for cheap.
BishopRyan
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06 07 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow you only sharpen once a year. So I guess quality goes a long way because I have to sharpen my cheapy every time out. Good info in this thread, thanks.
cwall1313
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06 07 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, good knives will hold their edge for a while. Stainless steel knives have a hard time holding an edge...if they ever have one to start with. Investing in a few good knives is esential. You won't believe the difference. All the knvies recommended in this thread are good ones, you'll have to decide for yourself which one is best for you. You'll need a good chef's knife, a santoku, a pairing knife, and slicer or filet knife. That should do the trick for whatever job you have.
Sharpshooter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06 07 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of our knives are the Henckels 4 star, and we are very happy with them. We also have one of the Shun knives that Alton Brown likes, it is one of the best factory edges I have seen. The real key for me keeping the knives in good shape, is that I keep one cheap one around, for when my wife wants to cut in a pan, I don't care. I keep it relatively sharp, and that keeps her from abusing the expensive knives.

Sharpshooter.
Sharpshooter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06 07 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to add, you don't need to spend a bunch on a whole set, you can get by with 95% of your work with a paring knife, and an 8" chefs knife.

Sharpshooter
SIMPLE Q
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06 07 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam's club has some white plastic handled knives that are just as good as my henkles in my house Tramontina (or something like that) is the brand name and they are great for BBQ cookoffs ect they come in 3 or 4 different sizes and cost around 12-15 for a two pack

hope this helps

Steve H
Simple Q Cooking Team

P.S. The paring knives come in a 4 pack and are great for cleaning/trimming baby backs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: