FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sand

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beakerello

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07 07 9:25 am    Post subject: Sand Reply with quote

I'm thinking of putting a couple of inches of a white beach sand or something similiar in the bottom of my smoke chamber to ease in clean up and hopefully retain a little heat in the process. What are some of your all thoughts?
SIMPLE Q
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07 07 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be afraid of the grit factor. will the bottom of the smoker hold water?? I used to put water in my "silver smoker" offset. It worked quite well

Steve H
texanx5
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07 07 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had several folk tell me that they do that very thing all the time and it works great. I've not tried it but may some day on my WSM not really needed on my Stumps. However I did have a fellow Stump owner tell me he adds a few inches in his all the time when cooking whole hogs.

old Smokey
WSM a.k.a. Weber Smokey Mountain
Stumps Smoker (custom mobile unit with a Stretch and sw42x6 offset)
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07 07 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about foil? it peels out nicley and keeps the huge mung from sticking to the bottom.

I would be concerned with sand clogging my grease drain, and also holding the grease leading to a flash fire when the door is opened.
JamesB
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07 07 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use washed play ground sand in my WSM pan. Cover it with a couple of layers of HD foil... no fuss no muss... After the cook, remove and throw away.

No idea about it's viability in other types of cookers... I don't use water or sand in my offsets.

James.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: