FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any good ideas for Buffalo?? Results and photos

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skybob
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06 07 12:23 pm    Post subject: Any good ideas for Buffalo?? Results and photos Reply with quote

I just received a 16# top round roast of bison from my nephew to try on the smoker. He said that" watch out, it's very lean and very hard to keep from being dry, dry, DRY.
Does anyone have a good recipe for an injection (?), marinade (?), or just a good idea of what to do with this????
My thoughts are to slice it in half so it isn't such a gawdawful big chunk of meat to start out with.
Then an injection, rub and put it in like a brisket or something along that order.
Harry, Roxy, Alien, anyone got an idea??

Pellethead Pitmaster

Last edited by skybob on Tue Nov 13 07 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06 07 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had some cooked by a friend here is his marinade, he marinaded for 48 hours: -

40 ounces Beer Dark Variety

1/2 cup soy sauce, low sodium

4 ounces balsamic vinegar

4 large garlic cloves -- minced

1 red onion chopped fine

1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce

2 teaspoons hot sauce

He smoked it low and slow on a rack in a pan, mix every thing add the marinade to the buffalo in a bag, refrigerate and turn every 12 hours for 48 hours, pour the marinade into a pan and bring to a rolling boil, simmer for 10 minutes, put the buffalo on a rack in a pan, cook 45 minutes / lb, baste every 20 - 25 minutes with the marinade, use a Turkey baster to gain the juice from the pan including any fat for flavor.

Cook to 135 - 140 buffalo is best served a little rare IMO.

Rest 20 - 30 minutes, slice and serve.

I still work here!
southernsmoke

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06 07 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bacon,Bacon, Bacon
troystr68
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06 07 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as it is so lean it may be a good idea to wrap it in foil to keep the moisture in, marinade is a muct as well. the smoker is the best place to do it as slow and low is crucial for game
Bedlam BBQ
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06 07 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be making jerky out of all that lean buffalo meat. We used to make jerky out of it when I was growing up -- good stuff.

Stumper clone with Stoker
Bedlam BBQ
Competition Team
Markbb
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06 07 11:29 pm    Post subject: Burgers Reply with quote

Grind some with some pork fat and make burgers, meatloaf comes to mind, salasbury steak in mushroom sauce....drooool
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07 07 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buffalo is a tough one to cook any way you look at it.

it could be marinated, injected, & basted, but then you lose the delicate flavor of buffalo.

I like the grinding idea, but lose the pork in the mix so they can be cooked rare to med-rare, any farther and it will be dryer then a popcorn fart, and probably taste about the same.

If I was given a buffalo round;
I would grind some of it for burgers, and do the burgers with semi-crisp bacon and an extra sharp cheddar/blue cheese mix melted on top on a soft bakery roll.
There was a saloon in Copper Mountain CO that would offer buffalo burgers prepared as I listed, We ate there every day we were there because they were so good.

and I would slice & cure the rest for making jerky.

Now if you had a rib-roast, that could be some excellent steaks or a roast if kept cooked under medium.
graybeard
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07 07 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry Nutczak wrote:

I like the grinding idea, but lose the pork in the mix so they can be cooked rare to med-rare, any farther and it will be dryer then a popcorn fart, and probably taste about the same.

The only problem I have had with "just" buffalo burger is it is sometimes so lean that the burgers don't hold together. I litle bit of pork for the fat sure helps solve that. I think with todays pork there isn't much of a problem with cooking to med-rare.
skybob
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13 07 11:21 am    Post subject: Smoked Buffalo roast results Reply with quote

Well, I tried SoEzzy's marinade recipe. 3 pints of Guiness and all the rest. Got to say, it was the best smelling marinade I've done yet. I sliced the 16# roast into 2 8# chunks,

Whipped up the marinade

And put the roasts into the marinade for around 40 hours. Pulled the roasts out

and then put the bacon over the meat to help keep the meat moist in the smoker, simmered the marinade and used it over the meat every 30 minutes or so.
After a couple hours, the internal temp was coming up, it took about 3 hours to look like this

I pulled the roasts out of the smoker when the internal temp hit 148, let them sit for about an hour and the temp climbed on up to 160*
Sliced the first one, notice how the meat is right about medium rare to medium, very moist. It had a very nice taste, but unfortunately, it was tougher than a boot. I ended up slicing all that roast and dicing it for chili meat.

I decided to put the other roast back in the cooker and run the temp up like a brisket. Well, i took the Grandkids to the park, we had a good time and when we got back, the roast was up to 206* internal.
I pulled this one instead of slicing it. It was much more tender and still had good flavor.

It was a grand experiment, but I don't think that I'm going to be doing buffalo roasts again anytime in the near future.

Pellethead Pitmaster
J.R.B.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14 07 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never done a lean chunk of buffalo like you did but I do 6 to 12 buffalo briskets every year and they turn out fine. In fact I would rather cook and eat buffalo brisket rather than beef brisket. My neighbor and I home slaughter quite a few buffalo every year and save all the briskets we can just for ourselves. I like to smoke the briskets with oak although once in a while I'll smoke them with our native chokecherry.
skybob
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15 07 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping that I'd have been able to have talked him into letting me have a brisket, but alas, he wanted that cut for himself. Now I know why.
As to the wood I used, the first 1/2 of the cook used hickory and the last 1/2 was mesquite.

Pellethead Pitmaster
lowrider90

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15 07 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SStory wrote:
I'd be making jerky out of all that lean buffalo meat. We used to make jerky out of it when I was growing up -- good stuff.

X2, buffalo jerky is like candy to me, at roughly $30.00/pound it is only a special treat for me. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: