FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Grilling fish

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
saint308
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06 07 10:55 pm    Post subject: Grilling fish Reply with quote

I have some redfish and speckled trout filets I want to grill tonight. Do any of you have any suggestions? Thanks in advance. Saint.
lowrider90

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06 07 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Grilling fish Reply with quote

saint308 wrote:
I have some redfish and speckled trout filets I want to grill tonight. Do any of you have any suggestions? Thanks in advance. Saint.

I use this methods a lot. Its really a nice way to go.

http://www.gourmetcookingplanks.com/tips.htm

Tuna, cook with very hot grill about 1-2 minutes per side depending on how thick i cut them. Partially (slightly, slightly) freezing them before dropping them on the grill. cover closed, no peeking.

Your snapper (is the same as redfish?) which i dont have great access here, if i remember, is not a very fatty fish. I may cook it like i do striped bass. In a fish cooker that holds the fish in a cage so you can flip it over without disturbing the meat.

like this:

http://www.epicurious.com/bonappetit/tools_of_the_trade/grillbaskets

spice how you like, if the fish is thick then use low to medium low heat with the cover on the grill lowered (i throw a little peice of oak on the grill in the back and get a nice added flavor. a two inch thick piece of striper may take a good twenty minute to cook. use yuo meat thermometer and you cant go wrong.

you can never go wrong adding a touch of butter and lemon juice just before serving.

A piece of italian bread with an olive oil dip (oilive oil, salt pepper, garlic, bit of dill,) tear off a piece of bread dip in the olive oil and enjoy.

J
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Teleking
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07 07 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A marinade I originally found for pork chops but have used it on fish, pork, and chicken.

1 can of frozen lemonade concentrate (thawed)
˝ cup fresh basil cut in strips
4 Tablespoons of EVO
1/3 cup minced garlic

Mix ingredients together and add with fish in zip lock bag. Add water to cover if necessary.

I used this on Cornish game hens and marinated overnight then onto the smoker. Use liquid in water pan for flavor during smoking.

I might just have to try it on some spares nest time.

“The Bride of Franken Smoker”
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07 07 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The redfish should hold up nicely on the grill, are you soaking it in milk or dressing or anything to help remove some of that "redfish flavor"?

Grill that stuff like lowrider suggested

the specks are kinda delicate. I used to do those indirect on foil, and then make a smoked fish salad, or spread out of those.
Otherwise I would pan-fry them.

The more popular grilling fish are Mahi, & Cobia, I cant think of any backwater fish right now that would be easy to grill.
Markbb
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07 07 12:50 am    Post subject: Smoked fish Reply with quote

Now that sounds down right good, had some smoked fish in S florida down right addictive....
saint308
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07 07 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry Nutczak wrote:
The redfish should hold up nicely on the grill, are you soaking it in milk or dressing or anything to help remove some of that "redfish flavor"?

Grill that stuff like lowrider suggested

the specks are kinda delicate. I used to do those indirect on foil, and then make a smoked fish salad, or spread out of those.
Otherwise I would pan-fry them.

The more popular grilling fish are Mahi, & Cobia, I cant think of any backwater fish right now that would be easy to grill.

Yeah, I though pan frying may be the way to go. Can you suggest a process for that? Last time I tried it I was not very successful. I like just a little bit of a crust. I really want to deep fry the fish with fried shrimp and homemade fries, but the wife said we are fat enough. Thansk. Saint.
Damar12
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07 07 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Creole seasoning, indirect heat until done.
OddThomas
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07 07 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

saint308 wrote:
Yeah, I though pan frying may be the way to go. Can you suggest a process for that?

I like my trout pan seared also... you can do it other ways with success of course, I just happen to like this method the most.

Olive oil in a nice hot pan, salt and pepper, sear skin-side down until half done, gently flip and continue to cook until done--about half as long as the first side. Just as it's finishing up add a little butter to the pan; tilt the pan and using a spoon baste the trout with the hot butter and olive oil mixture. Remove and drain for a moment before plating.

Finish with whatever flavors you like: butter and lemon and/or herb sauce (I think tarragon works well), bacon vinaigrette, Roma tomatoes, basil, and cream, Hollandaise... you can do lots of stuff with trout.

Good luck. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: