FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Saucy Q - West in Mobile, AL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> BBQ Restaurant Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BackYardNik
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Nov 19 2007    Post subject: Saucy Q - West in Mobile, AL Reply with quote

Well, Saucy Q is a local BBQ joint that now has 3 locations around Mobile. The West Mobile location is right around the corner, so I have have been anticipating its opening for months since the 'coming soon' sign went up. The main location on Government Blvd is highly regarded as one of the best in Mobile. I got a chance to eat there last night, and is was VERY disappointing. First, theres a > 30 minute wait for an order. Are they cooking the ribs when you order? No. The one thing that usually causes a wait at a GOOD restaurant is sides like fries or fried okra, since fresh is king. I got fries with all three orders, and so I waited. Well, the fries were cold, only partially cooked and unseasoned. I got one combination platter with ribs and pork, one pork dinner, and one 1/4 chicken dark platter. Every item was only lukewarm, and smelled like it had been holding for hours, despite the restaurant being packed out all day. The ribs were tiny, and had a very small smoke ring, and very little smoke flavor. The pork was sitting in grease, and had 'that smell' that told me it had been sitting a while, sort of like the grease in the bottom of a cooker when it heats up. Not rancid, just a distinct smell. The pork was also very soggy from sitting in a steam pan too long. Almost an oatmeal consistency. The chicken was the worst of all. Dried up through and through, with a beef jerky consistency. The sauce has no real flavor, just sweet.

Another issue was portion size. $31 for three dinners, with lunch size portions. The pork plate had about 5 oz of pork, and about 2 oz. of grease. My combo plate had about 3 oz. of pork, and 4 very small loin backs.

The best thing was the sweet tea.

Overall, a very disappointing experience. I hope it was just due to being new and working out the kinks, but with the owner's experience, it should have not been that bad. It will be a while before we return for another try.
Smokinfunk
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Nov 19 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived in Pensacola for quite a while before my company had me move to Charlotte. In those days, wife and I enjoyed going to Mobile from time to time just for a meal and short outing.

Recently the way was cleared by my company that we can move back to Pensacola if we're so inclined. The one thing that was lacking in both Mobile and Pensacola was I never felt like we could get our hands on any top-notch 'Q. I've been following what's going on down there and was hoping that Saucy Q would change the lack of good 'Q. From your post, sounds like the status quo remains.

Being just a backyard amateur, I've never suffered from delusions that mine was better than that which can be had from tried 'n true pros, although we (and the neighbors here in Charlotte) always thought mine was pretty damned tasty. Now it seems one more reason to get us off our butts to move back home isn't really there. <sigh> Guess I'll stick to drinking all day and playing with fire right here in my own back yard. I always enjoy it, but sometimes it's just nice to have somebody else do all the work. That, plus I hear the Pensacola area still hasn't ever fully recovered from Hurrican Ivan inclines me to stay here. Ivan was my 8th hurricane, and after that one I'd had all the fun I could stand (we almost lost the roof during that one).

Well, BackYardNik, keep us informed, will ya? Good to see an honest review from a discerning fan of barbeque.
Weber One-touch 22.5" grill
Weber One-touch 26" grill
============================

If God hadn't meant for us to eat animals, He would not have made them out of meat!
Surfnturf

PostPosted: Dec 05 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the best pulled pork plate in town.....go to Brick Pit. Get the plate with coleslaw and baked beans, sweet tea....and you must try the banana pudding.

Best in town.
BackYardNik
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Dec 05 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I work about 3 blocks from there. Pretty darn good BBQ.
Damar12
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Dec 06 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

And we used to go over to Pensacola for an outing and a little time away from Mobile area .We used to eat at a major good staek place with reasonable prices over there. I forgit the name at the moment. When ya pulled up outside, ya knew it was going to be good. All them fine odors coming off that chimney and sweeping down into the parking lot.
Smokinfunk
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Dec 06 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damar12 - I bet that place was one of two possibilities - either Mesquite Charlies, or McGuire's Irish Pub.

McGuire's is downtown, you'd remember it because they have one of those British double-decker buses parked outside. Inside, you'd remember it because they have dollar bills stapled to the walls, every square inch is covered. People write initials, slogans, etc on the bills and staple them to the walls/ceiling - it's kind of an old town tradition. Every so often some idiot will steal a bunch of the bills, and is immediately arrested when they try to spend them, because every business in town knows that multiple dollar bills with magic marker all over them HAD to have been stolen from McGuires, so they call the cops as soon as somebody tries to pay with them. They also have an in-house microbrewery, that has won many awards in national competitions, and their beers are delicious!

Mesquite Charlie's is on W Street (parallel to Hwy 29), kind of by itself, not a lot of other buildings around it. They used to have a 32-oz porterhouse, which was quite a challenge, even for a glutton like myself. They also used to put a great big bowl of pinto beans in the middle of the table, from which everyone served themselves.
Weber One-touch 22.5" grill
Weber One-touch 26" grill
============================

If God hadn't meant for us to eat animals, He would not have made them out of meat!
Damar12
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Dec 07 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was Mesquite Charley's that we used to go to. Good food.
I C Smoke

PostPosted: Dec 29 2007    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard to find good Q in Pensacola. The best local BBQ establishment I've found around here is LA BBQ. They are located on Hwy 59 between Robertsdale and Foley (in Alabama,about 35 min from me). I have no relationship with this place and couldn't tell you the owners name, but here is what I do know:

The ribs and brisket are consistantly terrific, never dry, good smoke ring.
The pulled pork is good, never had the chicken.
The potato salad is outstanding, with a little of the smoked meat and also sour cream in it. Sounds kind of wierd but tastes great! Beans are only so-so and never tried any of the desserts.
dabaxter
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Aug 11 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saucy Q is terrible.

Dreamland has awsome ribs. DO NOT ORDER PORK OR CHICKEN. ONLY ORDER THE RIBS. Their fries are great too.

LA BBQ on Hwy 59 in Summerdale is the best in the area for pulled pork.

The Brick Pit in Mobile is pretty good, not great.

JR's on Airport is poor too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> BBQ Restaurant Reviews All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: