FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Summer Sausage Recipie

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedneckRocket
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20 07 3:51 pm    Post subject: Summer Sausage Recipie Reply with quote

Last week I mad 15# of Summer Sausage using a High Mountain kit. The kit called for 12# of beef or deer, I udeed deer and 3# of pork. I used pork butt, and did not trim the fat. I groung the pork butt just as I cut it up.

While I think it turned out great as a first try I have a few questions.

When I grinding the pork butt, is it best to trim the fat or leave the fat on? I am thinking that is is best to leave it on.

The High Mountain kit was easy to use, and turned out a great first time product, but I would like something with a little bit of peppery spicy flavor to it. how much pepper or seasoning of choice would you add to 15# of meat to to get a slightly spicy flavor?

Next I would like to know the best way to introduce cheese and jalapenos into the mix of deer and pork.

How is the best way to do it? Do you grind in the cheese and jalapenos while grinding the pork and deer, or is it best to finely chop it and mix by hand with the cure and seasoning.

Here are a few food p*rn pics of my first batch of summer sausage.
Thanks everyone!~
RR

Just after I stuffed the cases

All cured up and ready for the smoke

All smoked up!

Tasty they were!

salmonclubber
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25 07 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rr

ok pepper are you talking black pepper or red pepper like cayane i use a lot of cayane pepper in my sausages for a 15 pound batch i would use 3 teaspoons of cayane to my sausage or 1 teaspoon for every five pounds of sausage as for the cheese and jap i would go to butcher-packer and get some dried jap peppers and some hi temp cheese for a 15 pound batch of sausage i would use about 1.5 pounds of cheese i dont know about how much dried jap i would use never tried it you can go to ps seasoning and buy a summer sausage kit for jap summer sausage thats what i do then i add hi temp cheese if you have anymore questions i will try and help

huey

www.butcher-packer.com
www.psseasoning.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Sausage Making All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: