FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

tenderquick or not?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stuffer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27 07 1:17 am    Post subject: tenderquick or not? Reply with quote

I have a wisconsin style fresh brat recipe that calls for 10 tsp. of salt could i substitute 10 tsp. of mortons tenderquick in place, or is it not needed in fresh meats? Also when adding water to sausage is 1 oz. per pound of meat a good starting point?
Texas-Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27 07 1:54 am    Post subject: Re: tenderquick or not? Reply with quote

stuffer wrote:
I have a wisconsin style fresh brat recipe that calls for 10 tsp. of salt could i substitute 10 tsp. of mortons tenderquick in place, or is it not needed in fresh meats? Also when adding water to sausage is 1 oz. per pound of meat a good starting point?

I don't put any cure in my fresh sausage.. As for the amount of water..It depends on what sausage I'm making.. But you can use 1oz per Lb
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27 07 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be real careful about loading up on the tender quick, from all I've read it is not a salt substitute nor should it be used on a one to one basis.

I still work here!
BigOrson
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29 07 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the Morton website (Tender Quick page):

Quote:
CAUTION: This curing salt is designed to be used at the rate specified in the formulation or recipe. It should not be used at higher levels as results will be inconsistent, cured meats will be too salty, and the finished products may be unsatisfactory. Curing salts should be used only in meat, poultry, game, salmon, shad and sablefish. Curing salts cannot be substituted for regular salt in other food recipes. Always keep meat refrigerated (36 to 40F) while curing.

I'd take that as a 'no'.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Sausage Making All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: