FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Obtaining Tenderquick?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigOrson
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29 07 4:36 am    Post subject: Obtaining Tenderquick? Reply with quote

I'm having trouble locating some locally and the stuff is on backorder from Morton.

Any good ideas of places I could look? So far I've tried Wal-Mart, Super Target, Publix, Kroger and our local ACE Hardware (which never ceases to surprise me with the obscure canning stuff they stock).

I'm going to try the place where I buy my fresh casings, but it's a Whole Foods on steroids, so I don't hold much hope of them having it.

Got a half a deer coming this weekend and need to use some of it and clear out some shoulder roasts from the freezer. Figured a big batch of sausage would use it up and free some space.
JimH
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29 07 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigOrson wrote:
I'm going to try the place where I buy my fresh casings, but it's a Whole Foods on steroids, so I don't hold much hope of them having it.

I found vegetable rennet & yogurt starters in the Whole Foods in Houston so it's a good bet that they carry TQ. If not, you can order it on-line from Allied-Kenco, I know there are other suppliers but I think Allied is going to be the closest to your location. You might check the Yellow Pages for a butcher supply store in your area first though.

http://www.alliedkenco.com/
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29 07 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know for a fact that Sysco does not carry it, but they have pink-salt! what gives? and that is near $1.00/ounce from them in a 40-ounce container. Do you have the proper scales to mix your own?

we have 2 grocery stores here, and they both have TQ, one sells it for $3.59 a bag. and the other is pricing it at $4.79 a bag.
BigOrson
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29 07 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry Nutczak wrote:
I know for a fact that Sysco does not carry it, but they have pink-salt! what gives? and that is near $1.00/ounce from them in a 40-ounce container. Do you have the proper scales to mix your own?

we have 2 grocery stores here, and they both have TQ, one sells it for $3.59 a bag. and the other is pricing it at $4.79 a bag.

I have a very accurate digital scale that can measure both in ounces and grams. I'd be willing to mix my own if I knew the proportions (I know I can get saltpeter at the corner Rite-Aid).

I guess in the vast wasteland of suburbia, folks don't much 'make their own' sausage. They buy what they want.

If I was still in New Orleans, I could bop on down to Rouse's or Robert's and likely find what I wanted in short order. In the outer rings of Atlanta, I'm getting a little stymied. Since my local Whole Foods makes their own sausage on-site, I still have hope that I can get some from them (along with my casings).

Chalk it up to another reason to hate Suburbahell, I guess...
Stan41
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30 07 8:24 am    Post subject: Tender Quick Formula Reply with quote

My bag of Tender Quick says the ingredients are:
Salt
Sugar
Doesn't say how much of each, but it is mostly salt.
.5 % Sodium Nitrate (saltpeter)
.5 % Sodium Nitrite
Notice that that's 1/2 percent of these items.
Stan
Stan41
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30 07 8:33 am    Post subject: Old time sausage recipe Reply with quote

I also have an old sausage recipe that calls for 1/2 lb. salt, 1 Tablespoon saltpeter for each 25 pounds of meat. Along with other seasonings like pepper, sage. But this is the proportions of cure in sausage.
Stan
Hell Fire Grill
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30 07 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went looking for some in the canning section at fred's and dident find it there, it was with the salt n pepper. Heres the morton site it has a product locator in the upper right.

http://www.mortonsalt.com/
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03 07 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone s having problems getting tender quick, I have some extra that I can part with. I will ship USPS priority mail.

I have 3 extra bags of tender quick that I do not need. if anyone wants it I will ship it at my actual cost at 3.59 per bag (which is what it cost me)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Sausage Making All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: