FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

help with sausage ??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
knuter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02 07 2:19 pm    Post subject: help with sausage ?? Reply with quote

Hey guys, tried to make first batch of summer sausage and the grind went smooth and then I seasoned meat and added tenderquick cure and let sit for an hour in the fridge. When I went to get it to stuff it was all brown looking, what happened??? is it safe to eat after smoking? Will it look brown when done? The stuffer part of the machine was slow and I think my sausage seemed to get almost like a paste. I did grind the meat twick and maybe I shouldn't have??? Some help from the pros would be helpful!

Thanks Guys!!!
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02 07 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I`m sure not a pro at sausage making...... but the color is from the cure, just means its doing its thing. You should get a nice pink-ish color when smoked then. From some of the recipes i have it says to cold smoke at a low temp like 140 for a few hours then rise the temp to 180, finish with internal of 160 -165. Folow with an ice bath to reduce to an internal of 90, then refrigeration for 3-5 hours to set.
I guess the trick is to not dry it out.
knuter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02 07 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whew, thought I wasted a whole day of making sausage! I actually threw about 6lbs in the freezer cuz it just didn't seem right but hopefully I can use it later when making some more. Will it keep in freezer or should I just throw it out? Thanks for your reply!
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02 07 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure, the idea is to make it all up fresh. Embarassed I`d think the freese then thaw might make to much moister. I`m not sure if the tenderquick would keep curing when froze ?
Thinking it should be ok though?
Here is some sausage making sites that might be more helpfull than i. They are a good read anyway. Very Happy
http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/index.html
http://home.pacbell.net/lpoli/index.htm
http://www.oscarenterprises.f2s.com/sausages.html
ChileFarmer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03 07 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting Jeff, Great links. I would think that meat frozen would not cure. Because the cure needs to be drawn into the meat. CF
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03 07 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the cure cannot work when the meat is frozen, but it should be ok when it is thawed.

thaw it in the fridge, not in open air though.

if the recipe called for 1-hour of cure time, I bet that is aready met before it froze, and the thaw time will increase that curing time amount. I doubt the product will be as nice as the fresh, but it won;t injure you.
jslchap

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03 07 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The brown color is typical when adding seasoning and cures. Not sure about freezing before the cure has time to finish. My experience with stuffing the sausage is to stuff it into the casings before you allow to cure in the fridge. Will make for less resistance while stuffing. One of the other tricks is to add small amounts of crushed ice to the meat and it will lubricate the meat. I allways try to make a meat slurry before I stuff. It really helps when trying to stuff into smaller casings ( slim jims ). Hope this helps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Sausage Making All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: