FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Build Your Own Upright Drum Smoker
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers Stickys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mokin Bandit

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14 08 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rojo Grande wrote:
That is the source for air inlet. The covers on the tubes act as dampers. Less O2=lower temp, more O2= higher temp. That is how the temp is regulated.

LOL! Yes i understand that. I should have been more specific. Why does it go up the way it does. Most i have seen made are like that. What is the purpose of it extending as high as the grill? Why not install one or two and leave them short at the bottom.
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14 08 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mokin Bandit wrote:
LOL! Yes i understand that. I should have been more specific. Why does it go up the way it does. Most i have seen made are like that. What is the purpose of it extending as high as the grill? Why not install one or two and leave them short at the bottom.

Because when you've been hard at work barbequing, and drinking a few brews with your friends, as you put the world to rights, you have a tendency to fall over bending down to turn the air off at the bottom.

It is something to do with the O2 being denser at lower altitude, OK that's my excuse and I'm ticking to it. Embarassed Laughing Rolling Eyes

I still work here!
Rojo Grande

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15 08 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL!!!!!I am getting ready for the maiden outing of my UMS (Ugly Man's Smoker) as my wife calls it, this weekend. And NOW you bring this little detail to light. Well looks like I will have to incorporate this into revision two; my wife will be thrilled I'm sure Rolling Eyes
Weber 3 burner grill
Mokin Bandit

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15 08 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rojo Grande wrote:
LOL!!!!!I am getting ready for the maiden outing of my UMS (Ugly Man's Smoker) as my wife calls it, this weekend. And NOW you bring this little detail to light. Well looks like I will have to incorporate this into revision two; my wife will be thrilled I'm sure Rolling Eyes

Good luck man! I am picking up my barrel tomorrow and will slowly gather all the parts i need. I am looking very forward to it. Now if i can only find a kettle lid cheap!!!!
Browser

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15 08 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, as stated further up this thread, the air intakes are made like that to prevent me, at 6ft 5in tall, from hurting his back further when adjusting the air intakes Very Happy
Thanks for the compliments people, I'm desperate to try the flamin' thing out but either I'm at work or the weather is against me. I'm determined to get it seasoned this weekend, but the forecast is for rain so I'll have to see.

Weber One Touch Silver 57cm.
Weber Go Anywhere.
Inter-stellar UDS.
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15 08 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Browser wrote:
I'm desperate to try the flamin' thing out but either I'm at work or the weather is against me. I'm determined to get it seasoned this weekend, but the forecast is for rain so I'll have to see.

Rain wont stop you once you get a taste for the adventure, season it as early as you can on the weekend and cook an overnight so you can enjoy Sunday lunch.

Wind and rain may dampen your spirits, and can be hard to handle if they sap the heat from the drum, set up a wind break on three sides and with your great lid you'll probably not go more than a 10 F drop.

I still work here!
kauaihunta

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05 08 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm new to the site and would like to build a drum smoker but am confused about the charcoal ring shape how it is bolted. If someone could post a picture that would be get thanks in advance

[quote]You will then need to find a piece of expanded steel of a grade you can bend yourself and make an 11" wide by 9" tall charcoal ring by bolting one side to the other. This part goes on top of the Weber grate.[quote]
Rojo Grande

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10 08 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The expanded metal for the ring can also be welded if your so inclined. However you do it, the ring just needs to be closed. You don't even need to use expanded metal. Some have used the charcoal ring from a WSM (Webber Smokey Mountain). Others have used a strip of sheet metal, made a tube that measures approx. 11" diameter X 9" height and drilled 1" holes all around so air can get to the coals inside the ring. The ring then sits on the grate to keep the coals in and let the ash out. This is after all a UDS (Ugly Drum Smoker), let your imagination be your guide. Very Happy
Weber 3 burner grill
CaliQ

PostPosted: Fri May 16 08 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks and sounds great. One question though. Adding a door to the side. If you were to add a door to the side, what would you use to keep the door closed so smoke and heat don't get released? Rookie question I know, but I've been thinking about doing this for a while.
Sailor Kenshin
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon May 19 08 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mokin Bandit wrote:
Where is a good place to buy a drum? Home depot, maybe?

What MB said!

And how do you know whether a drum is food-safe?
Browser

PostPosted: Thu May 22 08 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weber One Touch Silver 57cm.
Weber Go Anywhere.
Inter-stellar UDS.
Bbq Bubba
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13 08 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adding a door would defeat the purpose of the air tight drum...Besides, what reason would you have to add a door?
A load of charcoal will outlast ANYthing you put on it!!
Northern midwest director for Operation BBQ Relief
pyper
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18 08 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much charcoal constitutes a "load?"

I kind of like the idea of making one of these; having no friends in industry I googled "unlined steel drum" and the price seems to be around $100 + shipping. Is a "dish cover" a metal lid?
BZArcher
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18 08 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pyper - don't you dare pay that much. Very Happy

Go to www.craigslist.org for your area and look around in the "For Sale" sections, or just search "55 gallon drum". You'll almost certainly find people selling or giving them away for much cheaper. I was going to buy some myself online until someone pointed me in the right direction, and I found a local source for $5 each.
Smokedog

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18 08 7:18 am    Post subject: Drum Reply with quote

Bought mine on CL for 5.00. Built just like this thread!!!!
charliesarmy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22 08 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a drum refurb place here in Cincinnati that can get me a 55 gallon drum with a lid and no lining for 27 bucks..... I had a chance to get a free one non-lidded(Probably not a word, but ohh well) that is lined. I am guessing the 27 bucks is worth the hassle of the burn off and cutting the top off.....

What other factors should I be considering.... Is that an ok price...... any help is appreciated
charliesarmy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23 08 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the new drum... I hope to get started and have my first burn this weekend.

My daughter can not wait to have her first pulled pork sandwiches

My only problem so far is my dog is not very bright and not happy with the new addition to the backyard...

[/img]
luvmyc50

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30 08 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi all. i just put together a uds and did a couple of cooks on it. i am shocked at how far it will go on less than 10 lbs of lump. it went 14 hrs at temp.

does anyone use a diffuser of some sort between the coal basket and the cooking grid?
maryjstar89

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15 08 4:56 am    Post subject: Drum Reply with quote

Thanks Mr. McGruber.
Old-CTM

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17 08 2:00 am    Post subject: Lighting the fire Reply with quote

Hi all,

When you light the fire in one of these what is the process you use. Do you light a chimney full and add it to the basket of charcoal? Or maybe use a weed burner?

Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers Stickys All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 2 of 16

Jump to: