FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Surely there are more grillers here! Lookin' for a cooker!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Field

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12 05 11:41 am    Post subject: Surely there are more grillers here! Lookin' for a cooker! Reply with quote

I know this is a slow-cook barbecue smoker forum, but surely everyone here does some grilling some of the time. I've been a griller ever since I can remember (Dad brought me up early), but I'm just now getting interested in barbecue.

I know there are dedicated griller forums out there, but I like this forum and the folks in it better than the others. Maybe we can get some grill time out of some of these smoke masters.

Myself, I'm looking for one cooker that can do it all... slow smoke or fast grill with charcoal or wood or gas for 2 or 20 in the daytime or at night. I've been searching the net for three weeks trying to pick out my next cooker and I just can't make up my mind. Any suggestions?
allsmokenofire
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12 05 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what your budget is, but I've had one of these on my patio for 14 yrs. now. I still grill with it and used to smoke with it before I got my trailer smoker.

They are built like a tank, I've replaced the drip tray on mine and the heat deflector in 14 yrs. I burn hardwood lump and use wood chunks for smoke. I've got the legacy model and it will hold 2 whole briskets, or 2 turkeys, or 3-4 butts. I've baked bread and cakes on it, and still use it around the holidays for our turkey.

They aren't cheap, but if you look at the cost over the long haul its cheaper than the 3-4 gas grills I would have had to buy over the same 14 yr period.
http://www.hastybake.com/
str8smokin
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12 05 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grill on my offset barrel smoker all the time. The small chamber is great for a small amount of food, and I fire up both chambers when I need to cook for a group. Cooking for 20 would be tough because my offset is not that big (Bar-B-Chef Offset Smoker from Barbecues Galore).
weldonBBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12 05 9:51 pm    Post subject: Multi-purpose grill Reply with quote

I'm not sure if there is truly a grill/smoker/cooker that will do it all, but here is one that I'm going to give a good look at:
http://www.tejassmokers.com/products/2436.htm

I'm also looking at the pellet rigs, but the Dear Wife says "that's cheating."
She also says I'm the kinda guy that should work harder...smarter not being an option. Rolling Eyes

I wish you good luck on your quest, please keep us posted.
sledgehammer03
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12 05 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a Char-Griller Smokin-Pro with side fire box at Lowe's for Father's day, It is great and less that $200. I usually use it for smoking, but I have used it to grill steaks. The problem with that was it burned off all the seanoning and I got some corrosion inside the cooking chamber. Nothing a quick hit with a wire brush and a coating of PAM couldn't fix though.
zilla
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12 05 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Field, How ya doin? I like these.

http://gatorpit.net
http://tuckercooker.com/index.html

Ritch at Gator will build anything you can think of, in any size small or large.
The Tucker is a standard model.

My Gator has 88 inches of grill capacity and massive smoking capacity as well. I came up with a design that could both smoke and grill small and large quantities of food.

ZILLA
bigabyte
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12 05 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Big Green Egg touts itself as the one unit that will do it all. It can get VERY hot and do some serious grilling, it can cook low and slow, and can be used for roasting. I would suggest checking out that unit if you are serious about having only one unit for doing anything.
ohman
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14 05 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WoooDoggy wrote:
The Big Green Egg touts itself as the one unit that will do it all. It can get VERY hot and do some serious grilling, it can cook low and slow, and can be used for roasting. I would suggest checking out that unit if you are serious about having only one unit for doing anything.

Thats a good idea, I would like to have a egg myself......Very nice unit
Field

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14 05 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for all your input and ideas...

allsmokenofire - The HB looks good, I had not heard of that brand before. Expensive? Agreed... but not necessarily out of my price range. I think I need more space than the Legacy, but the price goes up from there. Interesting grills.

str8smokin - Do you know if the BBC is better quality than the SnP? I've been thinking about something big & expensive, but also "do I really need it"?

weldonBBQ - I love the Tejas charcoal grills. The new 2454XL is right up my alley. This might be the way to go.

sledgehammer03 - Again, is it really necessary to spend megabucks for a good cook? I think I need more room and versatility.

zilla - Gator was the frontrunner for awhile, but I'm still lookin'. I had not heard of Tucker before your post, but I really like their cooker... so much so that I'm calling about it tomorrow. I talked to David Klose the other night and he warned me about mechanical parts of moveable charcoal trays burning out (hence, his manual tray on the Grill Chef). But I still like it and am considering. Thanks!

WoooDoggy - I've seen the Egg and it's cool (hot?), but it doesn't have the room I need.

All great suggestions guys - THANKS A BUNCH!
bigabyte
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15 05 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked out the cookers called "The Good One"? They allow you to do anything and come in a good selection of sizes with a lot of cooking area.

Just thought I better mention them since I hadn't heard their name come up. Here's a link:
http://www.thegood-one.com/
jsdesign1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15 05 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talk to (SIC)BBQ---have him send you pics of his cookers- they look like something you are talking about. Smile
dholcomb1946
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15 05 3:18 am    Post subject: Pitt Reply with quote

www.Pittsandspitts.com

That is where I got mine. They will customize to your specs
buckeyebbq

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19 05 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Field
As I mentioned on another thread, I have a Brinkmann Professional grill that I picked up for $150 at Sam's-can't find it anywhere else, even on the brinkmann website, and Sam's now has a slightly updated version for 200 that is even better.

Although I originally bought it do do indirect grilling, which it's great for, I've been using it recently for direct grilling and really like it. The best feature is the adjustable grate that allows you to move the fuel closer to the grill-its a hand crank that is smooth-I've seen others (Charbroil, I think) that are similiar, but you have to actually life the grates up using handles on the side-couldnt' imagine doing that by myself while grilling without getting a face full of hot coals!

Of coure now I have to buy a dedicated smoker Very Happy
Steve-O
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19 05 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw these at the local BBQ place. They had adjustable grates where you could cook direct or indirect and control the heat my moving the coals closer to the food.

http://www.southerncookers.com/2003/cookers/patio.htm

Guaranteed for life. Really heavy duty. Not cheap though.
mding38926
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06 06 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsdesign1 wrote:
Talk to (SIC)BBQ---have him send you pics of his cookers- they look like something you are talking about. Smile

I actually just bought one of the Brinkmann Professional Dual Zone charcoal grills last weekend. I know that SIC uses it for both grilling and smoking and quite obviously has had great success using one. I am planning on using it as a grill primarily and only using it as a backup to my horizontal off-set in case I ever need more meat than the off-set will hold (think block party). I seasoned it and tried it out on burgers and dogs last Saturday and loved it. We had sirloin steak and chicken breasts on Sunday and they were amazing...........frankly could not believe how much more tasty the meat was done over charcoal rather than the old gas grill.
Travis_Creek
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07 06 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Field, check this out.

http://public.fotki.com/winstons/diamondplate_produc/

Picture 37-39 is a stationary FAT 50. There's also some good pics of our grill adder.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Grilling All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: