FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Welding machines

View previous topic :: View next topic  
xxfubarxx
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03 08 8:40 pm    Post subject: Welding machines Reply with quote

I recently changed jobs and became a Millwright. There's alot of welding involved and I need to learn and wanted to buy a 110 Mig welder for home use anyway. So for any of you fab guys out there, would a Hobart Handler 140 have enough juice to do some minor repairs on an older model New Braunfels Bandera. I've got a hinge frozen and may need new steel in the fire box. It went through 4 foot of water during a flood but keeps smokin away. Not ready to get rid of it yet. Even though it is a fuel hog.
FATFRANK

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03 08 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That welder would be fine for that. Make sure to use a heavy gauge extension cord, not your regular weed eater style extension.

Don't try to start welding trailers or anything with it and you will be fine.
Sa-Mokin
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03 08 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I made this,

With one of these 120vac flux core mig welders

And I basically had never welded before.
xxfubarxx
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03 08 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I was looking at and the price is good. http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200306073_200306073
They offered a free cart with it last month too. I appreciate the response before I go blow $500. Was it Miller that bought out Hobart ?
Canadian Bacon
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04 08 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im buying the exact same welder that Sa-Mokin has posted above this summer for small little jobs around the house,and a few mods on my cookers,from Sa-Mokin's pics ,looks like they work okay,nice job Sa-Mokin.
Napoleon Legend Gasser
20"& 26" Discada
Two of the fastest Thermapens ever made ... Black& Blue
LIAR #25
Sa-Mokin
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04 08 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadian Bacon wrote:
Im buying the exact same welder that Sa-Mokin has posted above this summer for small little jobs around the house,and a few mods on my cookers,from Sa-Mokin's pics ,looks like they work okay,nice job Sa-Mokin.

Thanks CB! IMO, they are a great little welder and excellent for learning to weld too!
animal
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04 08 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a Millwright also. Those 110 units are all right But check out the duty cycle first. Why not get a 220 V one that will give you a lot better penetration and a stronger weld and you can use it for more things. Which ever one you buy check if you can switch to gas instead of flux wire in the future if you wish
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04 08 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off i am no MIG welder xxfubarxx, but i have done allot of fab work and i like my stick welder. I frequent the Hobart welding sight a bunch. From what i have learned the 140 is a good machine and will probably do what your wanting it to do. However if you plan on doing more frequent work and can afford it you might consider the 187. you could go the there web sight and compare the two machines side by side. But if your just wanting a 110 machine that will run gas for pit work repairs and maybe even building one and such. from what i have heard the 140 is a great machine. Smile
xxfubarxx
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04 08 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. The reason for the 110 is convenience. If I want to grab it up and take it somewhere I know I can find 110. I don't see me doing any heavy material welding around here so I figured this would take care of my needs. Plus the price is right. Sure wish they still offered the free cart though.
c crane
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04 08 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a lincoln 135 for a couple of years. I find it does just about everything i want it to do up to 1/4".

Use flux core wire--it will have better penetration and you can weld outside in the breeze.

If you spray the area with spatter sheild first, the spatter will brush right off and your weld will look better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Welding All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: