FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Gas Grill

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dholcomb1946
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02 05 11:21 pm    Post subject: New Gas Grill Reply with quote

My Ducane wore out, burnt out the lower shell. It had a lifetime warranty, but I found out it was their lifetime, not mine. Weber bought the name, but didn't assume the liabilities.

Anyway, I spent a lot of time down at Home Depot & Lowe's looking at what they had to offer. There is no one there to ask questions of or get an explanation. I was confused about why 2 grill sitting there side by side one cost $300 and the next $1100. I assumed it had to do with constrction and components, but I sure couldn't see the difference.

While doing a web search on gas grill forums I found a link to BBQ Galore AND discovered they had a store here in Houston. Last Saturday I went to the store. WOW ! Lots of different grills from $200 to $7000. BUT there was someone there to explain why the difference. Very knowledgeable staff.

So I bought me one of their store brand Capt-N-Cook grills. It is sort of a mid range grill, but you can when & if necessary upgrade the grates & burners. Since I don't grill a whole lot, just the occassional hamburger or steak, I figured I didn't need what was offered in the higher priced units. It took me several hours to assemble, but wasn't hard after I figured out what parts & pieces the directions were explaining.

It is a 4 burner unit and has room to sit meat on one side & slo-cook, like Qing, but with gas. Sometimes I just don't feel like messing with the offset Q pitt and I just rub it up and sit it in the grill. Not as good, but a lot less hassle. I can tell the difference, the family can't.

IF you are looking for a new grill look up BBQ Galore. They have an internet site with pricing & shipping. www.bbqgalore.com
sledgehammer03
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02 05 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dholcomb,

You should really consider adding cast iron grates. They even out the heating, and make a great sear on everything.
Field

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03 05 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello d! I would like to hear how you like your grill after you've cooked on it a few times. How's the quality of materials and construction? Enjoy your new grill!
dholcomb1946
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03 05 4:09 am    Post subject: Grates & Burners Reply with quote

It came with porcelain coated cast iron grates & burners. Both can be upgraded to stainless. I prefer the cast iron grates, but cast stainess burners will never rust out.

I seasoned it up, cured the grates, burned it in. Cooked a few steaks. It gets really hot enough to sear them fast, then move over and slo cook until done. The way the burners are designed, they seem to burn hotter in the rear. This is fine with me as I like my steaks mooing & my wife likes them shoe leather. So now it is easier to do both Wink

I have always done Tgiving turkey on the grill. Put it in a brown paper bag, sit it to side, turn on grill to 200 - 250 and let it cook either all day or all night. I'll give it a try this year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Grilling All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: