FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dreamland (Mobile, AL)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> BBQ Restaurant Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattycamp
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: May 29 2008    Post subject: Dreamland (Mobile, AL) Reply with quote

Is this one worth hitting up on my way back from Gulf Shores next month?
mattycamp
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: May 31 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one? Seriously??

OK, stated differently: Dreamland (Mobile) or The Brick Pit?
BigOrson
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Jun 01 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm from Tuscaloosa, so I've had Dreamland many times. Haven't been to the other one you mentioned, so I'd try that instead. Dreamland is nothing like it used to be and the franchises are hit or miss.
mattycamp
BBQ Pro

Muchas gracias.
AsstChief7
BBQ Fan

BigOrson wrote:
I'm from Tuscaloosa, so I've had Dreamland many times. Haven't been to the other one you mentioned, so I'd try that instead. Dreamland is nothing like it used to be and the franchises are hit or miss.

I agree. Too commercialized now.

KCBS CBJ
Alabama BBQ Association
Bates Custom Pit
Retired Firefighter
mattycamp
BBQ Pro

Interesting. I just looked at The Brick Pit's website and saw this:

"We Smoke our chickens for 6 to 8 hours, our ribs for 12 hours and our pulled pork for up to 30 hours all over a blend of Hickory and Pecan."

What temp would you be smoking at to be able to go that long without overcooking the meat (especially the ribs!)? 190?
lantern
BBQ Super Pro

You'd think you would be able to put an 8 pound pork butt in your pocket after 30 hours. Laughing

Last edited by lantern on Jun 01 2008; edited 1 time in total
mattycamp
BBQ Pro

lantern wrote:
You'd think you would be able to put an 8 pount pork butt in your pocket after 30 hours. Laughing

Exactly! And 12 hour ribs would be so far past falling off the bone they should have already fallen into the pit.

I dunno...sounds fishy. Wink
Slosmokes

Never had the Brick Pit food, can't say there. But I have had BBQ from the Dreamland in Birmingham, Mobile, and the original in Tuscaloosa when the original owner was there. The one in Mobile is compared to Gibson's in Decatur, if you like one you'll like the other. I liked neither. The original was a bad as BBQ as I've had and on the level of that baby diaper wipings in the Carolina's/Georgia. Way different style but uneatable just the same. His was big bone, almost meatless ribs from an over grown hog, singed over fire and served with a half loaf of white bread. The Carolina/Georgia style is smoked to perfection and then ruined when made into that slushola. Some love it and that's fine. Not for me or many BBQ lovers I know.
Surfnturf

PostPosted: Jun 02 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

take it from me....Brick Pit.

Although the cook times sounds a little funny, you can't argue with the product they produce. Its a hole-in-the-wall type place but the spicy pulled pork plate is incredible. I usually get that with coleslaw and baked beans. And if you do nothing else, top it all off with the banana pudding. You will thank me.
Poppa's PTL Club
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Jun 03 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now now Slosmokes, not all Q in the carolinas and GA is bad, although there are admittedly few great places.

If the meat were smoked to perfection, they wouldn't feel the need to sauce the pulled pork (a malady not really restricted to the areas you prescibe). You are talking about pre-sauced pulled pork, right?
I C Smoke

PostPosted: Jun 04 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been to Dreamland (Mobile) in a few years so I can't helpc you with that one. I have eaten @ The Brick Pit and it's pretty good. They put too much sauce on the plate for me. There is a place on Hwy. 59 in Robertsdale called LA BBQ. It is my favorite local BBQ place. Their meats are consistantly good; tender & tasty w/ nice smoke rings on brisket (my favorite). I really like the ribs & the sides are good (especially the potato salad. They put sour cream in it; sounds weird but tasts great).
mattycamp
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Jun 04 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I C Smoke wrote:
I haven't been to Dreamland (Mobile) in a few years so I can't helpc you with that one. I have eaten @ The Brick Pit and it's pretty good. They put too much sauce on the plate for me. There is a place on Hwy. 59 in Robertsdale called LA BBQ. It is my favorite local BBQ place. Their meats are consistantly good; tender & tasty w/ nice smoke rings on brisket (my favorite). I really like the ribs & the sides are good (especially the potato salad. They put sour cream in it; sounds weird but tasts great).

I will DEFINITELY try this place. I'll probably drive back up there mid-week for lunch. And, of course, I will report back.
I C Smoke

PostPosted: Jun 05 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matty,

If your driving north on Hwy. 59 from Gulf Shores to I-10 it will be on your left hand side. I know they have a web site, that's how I found the place after my son raved about it to me. Try it & let me know if my transplanted Texas palate is still calibrated!! Very Happy Very Happy
Slosmokes

PostPosted: Jun 09 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poppa all I can do is report it the way I saw it. Most places I have ate at in that part of the country cooks pork low and slow. When it comes out of the pit is is smoked to perfection or as good as any other place. The trouble is they mostly think it has to be chopped to mush and that horrible vinegar /red pepper sauce poured over it until it is some type of mush. I, like most folks, tend to like to put sauce on pulled pork not because of bad meat but because I simply like it on there. Bad meat can not be completely over ridden by putting sauce on it, but I have had to cover barely eatable meat with passable sauce to finish a meal in some touted places.

Yep, pre-sauced is what I'm talking about. Some folks think they need to hide what they lack in smoking skills I guess. I always get my sauce on the side to taste it and the meat separately before getting any near the meat. That goop that I have been served up that way was the only way it came. Doesn't mean I won't still be searching for decent Q' up that way, only I'll be way more careful now.
lantern
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Jun 10 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, who in your opinion serves good stuff?
Slosmokes

PostPosted: Jun 13 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me....lol. Nah seriously lots of places. It's a matter of taste. Some folks like it that way and that's fine but I can't eat it without throwing up. Nasty stuff. Have tried a bunch and haven't hit yet.

Anywhere that smokes good quality meat that doesn't kill you with too much smoke, spices, a no account cook that should stick to smoking cigarettes. The thin Carolina/Georgia sauce is out. I'd eat Gibson's mayo sauce before I'd eat that and that is saying a lot. Sauce can be cooked on or added on the side according to the style and kind of meat. Not overly sweet or tangy or hot, but juuuuust right. Does that sort of narrow it down without naming every joint I ever ate at that had decent BBQ? Wink
lantern
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Jun 13 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL! Laughing Laughing

I'm close to calling SHENANIGANS on you! Wink

It's easy to blast a place for serving something you don't like, but much tougher to name a joint that you enjoy and have others see your tastes and have an opportunity to say, "The bbq you like sucks, it doesn't have the sauce I like.".

Not that anybody would do such a thing around here. Twisted Evil

(Note that I like every kind of sauce in some way shape or form except mustard base. Don't see much reason to smoke something overnight and treat it like a hot dog. Oh, and I DO like a vinegar sauce, but will agree with you that when they are bad.................they are HORRIFYINGLY bad. They also need mayo slaw to make magic, but that's another story. Very Happy)
Slosmokes

PostPosted: Jun 14 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't want any shenanigans called on me Rolling Eyes for not naming a joint or anything. Laughing

One place to my liking is "The Shack" near Talladega, AL on county road 34. Another is Charle's BBQ in Geraldine, AL across from the John Deere place. Now I can be scorned for what I like. Have I ever ate there when it wasn't up to par? Yep, a few times. On their worst days, they are hands down better than most on their best days. Shocked Do I think I can cook as good as either? I hope everyone here likes their own better than what the best they can buy.

Do I like other styles? Sure but most that is made a fuss over it seems are the TV show BBQ places that are in what it seems the only four stops their vehicles can make. All I can say is that when they are hurrying to one of the "big four" BBQ capitals (LOL), they are missing a lot of good BBQ in between.
lantern
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Jun 14 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

VERY good reply!!

I agree 100% I also think that the joints shown on TV are victims of their own success. With that much exposure and increased flow of customers it would be a huge task to put half as much passion into their food as we do when we cook for ourselves.

.... To be honest I would feel bad for the person who spent a good amount of time on BBQ forums and didn't believe they could make better bbq than the joints around them. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> BBQ Restaurant Reviews All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: