FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pork Loin

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve-O
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22 05 12:07 pm    Post subject: Pork Loin Reply with quote

Note: We oven cooked this, but it's great on the grill or a hot smoker.

Here is our pork loin. We butterflied it. Put thin java (or granny smith) apple slices in the middle. Added poultry seasoning, salt and pepper (inside), closed the loin. Wrapped thin bacon around it and toothpicked it shut. Let it marinade overnight.

Took it out and cooked it at 400 for 30 minutes. Bacon got crispy.

Here is the cooked loin.

Here is it cut:

Here is it on the dinner plate:

Side dishes:

Squash: Forget what kind, but they were peanut shaped with insides like acorn. Split the squash, scrapped really good, set round side up on a cooking sheet and cooked at 450 for 40 minutes till they got soft. Pulled and scraped the insides into a mixing bowl. Added butter, salt, cream, and beat the s--t out of them.

Brussel sprouts (don't laugh), Cut in thirds top to bottom. Heat olive oil in a pan till water sizzles. Toss in BS and saute for 10 minutes. Add salt and pepper halfway through. When soft but still crunchy, remove and add a tablespoon of lime juice. Toss.

This is a great, healthy meal (except for the butter, cream, and bacon) that you can whip up in an hour and look like you slaved away all day at it. Enjoy!
mding38926
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22 05 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks awesome steve-0
allsmokenofire
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23 05 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That does look good. Based on your description and the color of the finished product, I'm guessing the squash was butternut squash. I am also a big fan of brussel sprouts, I just can't get anyone else in my family to eat 'em.

Nice job...
weldonBBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23 05 9:50 pm    Post subject: Pork loin Reply with quote

Steve,
Great job Exclamation
I've got a pork loin scheduled for Friday dinner. I'll give this method a whirl. I've never tried the butterfly and stuffing method, so thanks for the idea.
Oh, and the bacon on top: I'm with Emeril on that, "Pork fat rules!" Smile

Happy Thanksgiving,
Weldon
Steve-O
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23 05 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure it was butternut too. Just had a senior moment. These taste suprisingly good with a dab of butter and salt. No sugar, but kids might needs some to get them to eat it.

Weldon: I wrapped the bacon all the way around. Bought some really thin slices and stretched it around. A couple toothpicks and it stays put.
allsmokenofire
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24 05 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Butternut squash makes a great soup too.

Just split 'em, scoop out the seeds, rub 'em with olive oil, put 'em cut side down on a sheet pan into a 375 oven for about 60-75 min. until tender. Scrape out the insides into a saucepan, add some chicken stock, thyme, a little butter and some fresh grated nutmeg. Let it come to a simmer and then hit it with a submersible mixer(boat motor as Emeril says) or put the contents into a blender and give it a whirl(if using a blender, make sure to hold the lid down or you'll be painting your kitchen with this stuff). Return to the saucepan, stir in a little heavy cream, bring it back up to temp....and serve!
SauceBoss
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27 05 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off loin looks amazing and Im sure it tasted even better. Not to long ago I did the same except I didnt fillet the loin and used pears instead of apples. I marinated the pears in a lemon/soy marinade and then grilled them until soft. Then i oven baked the loin and ate the two as compliments to each other...sweet and saucy. tasted amazing!

Now to allsmokenofire....recipe sounds amazing, im printing it up at work right now and am going to make it tonight..ill let you know how well it came out tommorow. Thanks for the tips
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Grilling All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: