FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Smoked turkey legs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Other Meat Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pavel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26 08 4:46 am    Post subject: Smoked turkey legs Reply with quote

This forum has been amazing and has brought my family and I so much enjoyment by providing ideas and recipes to use with my smoker. I can't begin to thank all the posters for so many terrific meals!

One meal that we really enjoy has been turkey legs. At 79 cents a pound, you can't go wrong but they are wonderful smoked!

I run into a problem though with the skin. Now, I separate the skin from the meat, put mustard and a rub on both the meat and the skin, then pull the skin back over the meat which does a great job keeping it moist. However, when they are done, the meat tastes great but the skin is like leather. Impossible to eat and even hard to tear off.

Not a big deal really with turkey legs, but I'm looking to smoke a whole turkey soon and would like to avoid this issue. How can I keep it from happening with legs and a whole turkey? Been looking at Alien's Hurricane Turkey and can't wait. Could this issue be solved with cheesecloth? If it helps, I have a Traeger Lil' Tex.
murf

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29 08 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It takes heat to make skin chewable. A smoke at under 300 will get you rubber skin everytime. As for whole turkey after a 24 hour brine I rinse it off and let it sit in the fridge for 24 hours uncovered to dry the skin out. This seems to help and I smoke my birds at 325.
msp1128
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10 08 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smoked turkey legs are great!
jib
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11 08 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raise your temperature for better skin.

I use a 24 hours (salt, sugar tarragon) brine, with a bit of rub and smoke turkey legs at 350F. My kids say they are better than what we ate at DisneyWorld.

Jack
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Other Meat Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: