FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So what do you think of this smoker?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HobbyWelder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28 16 3:06 pm    Post subject: So what do you think of this smoker? Reply with quote

My friend and I built this a couple years ago, and he's used it quite a bit with good results. What do you think of it?

It's a 120-gallon tank with a 35-gallon firebox. The running gear is off an old Dodge Caravan with the springs shortened into slippers. The tongue is removable for storage.

The firebox is extended into the plenum under the baffle with a 1/2" gap between the top of the firebox and the baffle to prevent hot spots.

The swing-out shelves can be lifted and removed for storage or transport.

And then there's the important stuff.

How did we do?
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28 16 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great nice work HobbyWelder . Very Happy

Hybrid Cooker
Maniac
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29 16 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HobbyWelder Nice little toy you made right there. I like that it is a little different ...Good luck with her.
Smokin Mike
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29 16 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's kind of an odd looking critter, but I like it! The important thing is if she runs smooth and make good barbecue.
HobbyWelder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29 16 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments.

We were ready for something different after building a bunch of these for fund-raising raffles over the years.

We wanted to get away from having to work around the tire and fender to tend the meat. Mounting the tank crosswise solved that, and everything else fell into place.

One of the tanks donated by the local gas company for the raffle smokers was made of thinner material, and the door panel warped badly when we cut it out. We didn't want to use it for a raffle smoker, so we made the flat door, and mounted it differently.

One concern with the crosswise arrangement was shielding the tire from the heat of the firebox, but that hasn't been as much of a problem as we expected. The rubber bushing for the leaf spring is really close though, but we solved that with a simple shield after trying this temporary fix.

My friend says the firebox could be smaller. It's really easy to get it up to temperature, but doesn't take much of a fire after that.
Nerone

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31 16 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never have seen a smoke ring.
Here in Italy we don't use to cook meat there.
But I am very curious about this accessory.
I don't understand exactly how it work but I think it cooks and smoked the meat very well!
It would be very interest to see it working. Could you post more photos, please? Smile
HobbyWelder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31 16 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of the eight pictures I've posted above, the first two, the sixth, and the last were taken when the smoker was actually cooking.

There's really not much to it from what I've been told. Keep in mind that I've never done it myself. Smile I'm sure others here can add a bunch of info on this subject.

You start the fire to bring the cooker up to temperature while you're preparing the meat for cooking. You add the proper wood to give the smoked flavor you're looking for, and set the dampers to give you the desired temperature. Place the meat in the cooking chamber. Keep an eye on the temperature, and tend the fire and turn and/or baste the meat if necessary.

There are more pictures taken during the construction posted here:
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/winchman/library/Crossmount%20Smoker%20for%20Bruce?sort=3&page=1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: