FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Commissary rights - how much $$?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Petunia
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11 08 1:58 pm    Post subject: Commissary rights - how much $$? Reply with quote

Giving serious and deliberate thought to turning Pro/going legit, a decision I'm not entering into lightly by any means. At this point the question is if it'll be a store-front (doing some legwork on a rental unit in a strip-plaza right now) or whether we'll play it safe (and far less expensive) and just upgrade to a larger, portable rig to expand on catering and be able to (finally) advertise.

(currently use a Klose GrillChef and really don't want to weld it on a trailer, besides I need more capacity).

How much should I be willing to pay for commissary priveleges? Any suggestions on where/who to approach? Thinking about speaking with a local pizzeria where I'm friendly with the owner, but other than that brilliant master stroke I'm having a hard time figuring out where to obtain a BOH-inspected kitchen. Any suggestions?

Thanks, and Happy Smokin!
Ridge View BBQ
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11 08 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot depends on your budget. You could offer your Pizza friend some kind of deal to use his kitchen when he's not there (but pizza has some of the longest hrs. in the business) that would be the lowest $ way to get in. Otherwise talk to your Health Adgent first and see what they offer up.They are there to help you....Jim
Wells Cargo 20' Concession Trailer w/porch 24"
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11 08 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of civic groups will help you out if offered an incentive, otherwise you will probably be looking at some type of fee to be sure.

The barter system works well if it's fair to both parties.

VFW's, Elks Lodges, meat markets, some churches (not all are lis., usually just the ones with schools attached).

Your area may have different rules, so check with your HD first.

Here we can go with any lis. faculty be it state, local, or dept of ag.

The exception is any federal facility, I'm not sure why other than the local authorities have no control over those operations.

Good luck on your search and business plans! Very Happy
allsmokenofire
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11 08 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might depend on what you need from the commissary. Do you need the use of equipment? Do you need to use refridgerated space? Are you just needing a base to work from that is already licensed? If all you need is licensed space, and maybe use of the dish pit, you can probably get off way cheaper than using equipment or refer space.

For a kitchen that might meet your requirements, you might consider along with the other suggestions, a restaurant that is open for breakfast/lunch only. They should probably be available(read: empty) by late afternoon and certainly evenings. An owner would probably be open to the idea of generating a little extra income while the restaurant is closed.

....just a thought.
marvsbbq
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11 08 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my local meat supplier (wholsale butcher shop) which is federally inspected (local HD has no control over) but has approved them as my comissary.

I am able to prep (if necessary), store product (if necessary) and smoke/bbq/cook (when necessary) anytime needed 24/7 all for FREE.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Catering All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: