FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My First Smoker

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KRobb633

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16 08 7:02 am    Post subject: My First Smoker Reply with quote

I am looking to buy my first smoker. I haven't decided whether I should get an upright model (weber "bullet") or an offset (chargrill style).
What are the advantages of each? How good are they at temp and burn control? Please help.

KRobb
Div

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16 08 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I built my own drum and it holds temp very well...u can see it in action on my post about smoked brisket

4 burner Walmart gas jobbie.

JamesB
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16 08 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to buy one, you can't go wrong with a WSM.

If you want to build one, a UDS is a very simple build. You would have most of the performance of a WSM for much less $ and more grate space. The entire build can be accomplished with little more that hand tools. No welding required.

I have 2 UDSs and a WSM. The WSM ain't seen a whole lot of use lately.
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16 08 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the budget? Chargriller is about $150 and I think a WSM is about $300. One thing about an offset, you have to watch them fairly closely. You can have serious hot spots close to the firebox. Many people do mods to their offsets. I understand the WSM is good right out of the box.
Brinkman Bullet
smokingpig
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16 08 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey krob, I have a chargriller with all the mods, I love it. Nothing beats making your fire and babysitting the smoker its the best MAN it is. Few beers, friends and good eats, and a fine cigar after your meal, yeah now thats living............. Id love to get a heavy duty smoker but for now my char-griller will do.
Old Smoker
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16 08 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Chargriller myself as well. I know it's not a top end unit,but for beginners like me it serves it's purpose. The mods most of us CG owners do makes it quite good for the price. For some tending fire may not be thier cup of tea, but once again,after you learn to use it,even that becomes less a problem. Would I move up if I could,sure,but as I said it serves it's purpose for now.
LIAR #29
------------------------------
KRobb633

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22 08 11:23 pm    Post subject: Minion Method Reply with quote

I was wondering if it is possible to use the "Minion Method" with a side mount firebox? If so, how about fire control?.
I also saw an interesting smoking contraption on the "Good Eats" show. Alton Brown used to large clay planting pots for his. On the bottom one he used an electric hotplate as his heat source and just splapped a metal pie plate down on it to heat his wood chips. Then he took a cooking grate from a kettle style grill as his cooking grate. Once his meat was in place he put the second pot on upside down on the bottom pot and stuck an aftermatrket thermometer in the drainage hole on the upsided down pot. I think I might try that.

KRobb
Old Smoker
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23 08 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sure it is, I use the minion method all the time in my Chargriller. Of course I also use a basket as well, but I can control the temps and keep them good and steady for about 5-6 hrs. Took a little practice but works nicely.
LIAR #29
------------------------------
ou812warford
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23 08 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us know how the clay pot smoker goes. I have recently been think about making one too.

Oklahoma Joe 16" traditonal
weber gold 26 3/4"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: