FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

St Louis Style vs Baby Backs?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DENALI
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07 08 4:54 am    Post subject: St Louis Style vs Baby Backs? Reply with quote

Is there any preference of one over the other? All other things being equal is there any texture/taste differences? How about cost comparisons? Cya!
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07 08 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is always a preference one way or the other! Wink Laughing Wink

But it does depend on who you ask as to the answer you get, for my preference I'd prefer to by spares and cut them down myself, but I don't cater and the biggest gig with cut down spares was for 36 racks, which I bought at about $1.39 /lb and even with the extra time to trim them it was adding an extra 25 cents or so to the price /lb not a vast difference but I got to keep the rib tips and skirt meat, so to me I won out both ways.

Generally I like spares trimmed St Louis style as they'll still have more meat than baby back or loin back ribs.

Some folks buy St Louis trimmed by the case, and then the price might make a bigger difference.

As with all things bbq, YMMV!

I still work here!
saltwatercowboy
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07 08 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started cutting my own St. Louis style from spareribs and have not done a baby back rib since. I think they are easier to cook than the baby backs since they have more mass and fat and I think they have more flavor. The scrap peices are great as well for a little chef's treat while smokin' them up.
If your not living on the edge your taking up too much room...
Doc1680
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07 08 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think BBs, because of the lack of fat, are as tasty as spares. And spares just are more meaty, IMHO. Alot of people like spares because they are naturally more tender than spares and cook quicker. I'll take the flavor of the spares.

The BBs are going to set you back more than spares. I can usually get spares around $1.99-2.49/lb while BBs always run $3.99 - 4.99/lb.

Doc
Tom C
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07 08 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in N.Cal the price is a big factor. Spares ar by far cheaper than b. backs by about $2.00 /lb and pre-cut St. Louis style by about $1.00/lb.

I too find them easier to cook. I need to foil b.backs for 1hour to keep them from being a little dry. Spares of St. Louis cuts do just fine without foil.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07 08 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not like backloin ribs becuase of the uneven sides per rack, One end is wide and skinny, while the other end is narrow and thick.

On the other side I would say price sucks on backloin ribs, We are paying twice as much for the bones that the backloin comes from then we are for the loin! That sucks!
Oregon smoker
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07 08 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Alot of people like spares because they are naturally more tender than spares and cook quicker.

im confused Wink
BigRackBBQ

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07 08 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spares hands down. Better flavor.
big_jake
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07 08 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i vote for spares again.
Oregon smoker
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07 08 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i vote for spares also. here where i am at, it is half the cost of BB's. not only do i trim to the STL cut and get a better cooked product but i also get the trimmings. its just a win-win situation for me.
Doc1680
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07 08 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oregon smoker wrote:
Quote:
Alot of people like spares because they are naturally more tender than spares and cook quicker.

im confused Wink

Think of BBs as the tenderloin of the rib. They are closer to the spine. On four legged farm animals that area gets very little work thus the meat from there is less tough.

Doc
Poppa's PTL Club
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07 08 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count me in with the spares crowd as well, although I find that if you ask the average guy on the street, they'll say baby backs.

I think it's because most people haven't had a slow smoked rib but usually a hotter, grilled rib instead and in that circumstance, they are often the better choice (more tender). If you let them taste a slow smoked spare, they'll change their mind.

Then again, KC Masterpiece is a best selling sauce, so maybe everybody else just have palates like a horse's backside!
tommrussell

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07 08 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

last weekend i did 2 bb and 2 spares for the inlaws just to see which ones they thought were better , the only thing i got from them was both of them were good (thanks inlaws) but to me the spares had a better snap and a lot better flavor also were easier to cook, just my 3c worth

webber kettle
Oregon smoker
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07 08 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Oregon smoker wrote:
Quote:

im confused Wink

Think of BBs as the tenderloin of the rib. They are closer to the spine. On four legged farm animals that area gets very little work thus the meat from there is less tough.

Rolling Eyes look at how the original statement is worded.....its redundant and compares spares to spares. i know the difference, however the statement can leave one wondering what is trying to be said. Wink
Doc1680
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07 08 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oregon smoker wrote:
Quote:
Oregon smoker wrote:
Quote:

im confused Wink

Rolling Eyes look at how the original statement is worded.....its redundant and compares spares to spares. i know the difference, however the statement can leave one wondering what is trying to be said. Wink

Oops! Laughing Embarassed Laughing

I missed it. I guess since I already knew what I was saying I didn't re-read my post.

Doc
Toga
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08 08 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put me in on the Spares bandwagon. They do have more fat to keep the meat juicy, more meat, and are way cheaper than baby backs. The additional fat = more flavor as well.

They are just not as pretty as baby backs.
PlaneSmoke
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08 08 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't done a lot of Spares, mostly BB, and I love 'em. The BB's have been easier for me to handle and prep and no guess work when I plate them (in counts of 2's) for those, like my wife, that don't like the extra small bones in the one section that's called?????

Mike
ProQ Excel 20
Weber One-touch (2)
Weber Genesis Gold
Weber Smokey Joe
SoEzzy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08 08 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rib tips!

Then you may want to try a St Louis cut on some spares next time, the cut removes all those little bone / cartilage bits.

I still work here!
Skidder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08 08 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can go to You Tube to learn how to cut down spares into St. Louis. I prefer spares. More fat and more meat equals more flavor. BB backs out my way go for $4.99/lbs. spares at $1.49 to $1.89.
mattycamp
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08 08 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am totally in the spares camp. So much so that I try to talk people into them when they ask for BBs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: