FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Forum

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kjwalker
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27 06 10:17 am    Post subject: New Forum Reply with quote

This was my suggest to do a commercial forum for those making a profession out of bbq on the restaurant side of the equation, so I guess I better make the first post!

I am KJ Walker and in the process of opening up a Bar-B-Q joint in Shanghai, China. It will be called Bubba's Texas-style Bar-B-Q and Saloon, and most likely will be located in the Gubei area of Shanghai for those of you who might have been here.

You may have read my introduction in the Introduce Yourself forum, Howdy=Ni Hao.

Anyway, just a quick "I'm in" for this area of the smokering, and I look forward to exchanging ideas with other pros with regard to processes, management, marketing, etc.

KJ
Home of NCAA Football in China
Host of Shanghai Chili Cook-off
allsmokenofire
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27 06 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KJ, Great idea...and thanks to Garry for getting this set up. May not be a whole lot of guys here that do this for a living, but I'm sure there are quite a few that would like to learn what it takes. Again KJ, thanks for the idea, and thanks Garry for making it happen!
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27 06 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with your new venture! Hope "Bubba's" is a great success for you.

Do you plan on also offering traditional chinese food, or just Texas Q? Beef is more popular than pork in Texas (although pork is becoming more popular). Good brisket requires a looong cook.

Let us know what your menu will look like! Very Happy
kjwalker
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28 06 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm from Texas so I know all about Texas beef que. We will not offer any traditional Chinese fare, but I might do some work with Chinese five spice and also perhaps some Thai marinades/spice mixtures.

I already do a grilled chicken with spicy Thai marinade, and think it would be just as good in the smoker.
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28 06 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep us posted on your menu, and how things are going! Very Happy

It must be an interesting story on how being from Texas, you are now doing "Q" in Shanghai!

Here (Florida) it is very hard and expensive to open a new restaurant. I will probably just keep with my on-site BBQ service, as it provides a good living for my family, and also gives me time to do other things (like travel).
kjwalker
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28 06 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"on site"....I guess that is a catering business? Can you give us a little introduction? i.e. what's your main business proposition, how long, speciality items, etc.

KJ
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28 06 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sure can! Please take a look at the web site. If you have any questions, please ask!

My background is high speed packaging machinery, mostly for the food industry. I managed restaurants to pay my way thru motorcycle mechanics school years ago. I have also done medical manufacturing, and built printed circuit board platers for a few years (some of which were shipped to China!).

I designed and built my own equipment. The smoker is an off-set design 40" in dia., and 8' long. It has gas assist, and is purely a log burner. The square box is a double walled insulated oven, and the racks are interchangeable with the smoker. The gas grill is custom as well, and 5' long. Everything is 304 grade stainless steel. No rust! Very Happy
Cheffie
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29 06 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, China! What do the locals think of American BBQ? Is it a rarity there? If so, you will need a lot of promotions and free tastings for the public. Good luck to you. What kind of wood is available to you there?

I don't think I could be of much help to you on the business side, my husband and I have a mobile BBQ kitchen & smoker, seasonal, in the Midwest. We are professionally trained working chefs, if that would help you in any way.

Please keep us up to date, this is fascinating.
kjwalker
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29 06 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the locals haven't exactly had American-style que, as of yet (unless they have travelled to the U.S. on business or otherwise). There are many places here selling "BBQ" but these range from Brazilian-style chorascos to places that serve meat on skewers.

Wood that is available is apple, but I also think I can get my hands on cherry and perhaps plum (my personal favorite back home was walnut).

Yes, the marketing is going to be key. I think if I can build it and attract the foreign crowd, then the locals will follow because they'll view it as being trendy and international. I am not going for the local locals, but more highly educated middle and upper class. Local locals can't afford to spend more than a few bucks per day on food.

Glad to meet you guys, and indeed knowing a working chef will probably come in handy at some point!
kjwalker
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29 06 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

QMan, that's one serious rig you have there. Damn. What is the upright box on the front of the trailer? It seems to have some hoses leading into it from plastic jugs in one photo. I thought perhaps it was a fridge or some type of cooler, but maybe it is part of the smoker....?
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29 06 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The small box with the jugs in front is a on-board sink, the hoses lead to a fresh water jug, and a wastewater jug. It has a foot operated pump to get the water up to the sink. The large box behind it is a double walled oven. The pics dont really show it too clearly.

looking forward to sharing your expierence in such a new market as yours! Very Happy
ribmaster500

PostPosted: Fri May 19 06 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

apple is excallant wood for pork ribs we use apple hickory mesquite and cherry for me those r the best woods to use
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Commercial BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: