FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mexican Yard Bird

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Chicken Recipes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14 07 5:29 am    Post subject: Mexican Yard Bird Reply with quote

Mexican Yard Bird

Not everyone likes chicken but if you do, you will love smoked Mexican Yard Bird. This recipe while Mexican in name is actually closer to being from the Yucatan region of Mexico due to its use of citrus flavors and cilantro. Obviously, I have Americanized it so my apologies to the Maya and Aztec civilizations. The flavors are robust but do not overpower the taste of the chicken. Squab would be another good fowl selection for this recipe.

Ingredients:

5 lbs. Chicken Quarters
3 tbspn. Turbinado Sugar
2 tbspn. Citrus Grill Seasoning
1 tbspn. Roasted garlic Seasoning
1 tbspn. Cilantro (Mexican Cilantro would be better if you can get it.)

Mix all the dry ingredients together and completely rub over the chicken. It will give you a richer flavor if you lift the skin of the chicken and place some rub under the skin as well.

After the chicken is thoroughly rubbed inside, sprinkle the remaining rub on the outside of the chicken.

Place the chicken in a pre-heated smoker set at 250 degrees. Leg quarter normally take from 3-4 hours to cook at this temp. You will be cooking the chicken to an internal temperature of 165 degrees. When done, the juices should run clear. Be careful when inserting a probe into chicken. On more that one occasion in the past, the smoke and or rub I used has sealed in the juices under the skin. When I stuck the probe through the skin, a stream of hot juice has shot out.

When the chicken reaches 165 degrees internal, you can remove and let rest for 20 minutes. For crispier skin, you can spritz the chicken (every 1/2 hour or so) in a 50/50 mixture of rum and EVOO or when the internal temp of the chicken reaches 145 degrees, raise the temp of the smoker to 350 degrees or lightly grill over an open fire.

As you can see, this is some very juicy chicken. The spritz keeps the skin from burning and the inside spices does a good job of flavoring the meat. One note to first time smoked chicken eaters. Smoked chicken is very pink on the inside from the reactions of how it was cooked. Many older adults will balk at smoked chicken because of the color inside and the belief that the chicken is not done. It is however done and one of the best ways to introduce smoked foods to many people.

hookncook

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28 08 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks awesome. I gotta try next week.
Smoke Fiend 24/7
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11 08 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alien your chicken looks good makes me want to reach through the screen and grab taste. Do you buy your spices at Sam`s club and do they come in those 16 oz containers?
Darrin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11 08 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks tasty!
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11 08 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smoke Fiend 24/7 wrote:
Alien your chicken looks good makes me want to reach through the screen and grab taste. Do you buy your spices at Sam`s club and do they come in those 16 oz containers?

yes to both!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Chicken Recipes All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: