FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jambone A Hardwood Joint - Santa Rosa Beach, FL - Great!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> BBQ Restaurant Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dabaxter
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Dec 19 2008    Post subject: Jambone A Hardwood Joint - Santa Rosa Beach, FL - Great!! Reply with quote

I had the opportunity to eat at Jambone this week. It is on Hwy 98 5 minutes east of SanDestin and 20 minutes west of Panama City Beach. It's in a strip mall on the north side of the highway. When I arrived, I saw no smoke. I wasn't hit with "the smell" when I walked in and the place wan't very busy. This all pointed to a potentially really bad experience. Boy was I wrong! After ordering, I sat down and was presented with chips and salsa? It was "fru fru" salsa too with beans and corn etc. in it. It did not look like anything I would like. I thought this is not going to be a good meal. To my surprise the salsa was very good, and the meal was great!! Out came a pulled pork sandwich on a kaiser roll(which is a no no in my book). The meat was great and I could immediately tell they were using pecan. It was first class. They have 4 sauces, a white, a spicy mustard base, a vinegar based, and a sweet tomato based. The red and the vinegar sauces were first class. Their beans were strange with multiple types of beans and lots of pork, but they too were good and very different. Their fries were some of the best I've had.
Overall, this is clearly the best BBQ place I have eaten at in a long time. It is a different kind of place. I highly recommend it. It is worth driving out of the way for. It is definetly my new favorite.
This might rank as one of the better or top BBQ spots in the south.
http://www.jambone.net/Visit_Us.html

Last edited by dabaxter on Feb 12 2009; edited 2 times in total
dabaxter
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Jan 28 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok. I tried it again last week. You know how you remember something being great and then you try it again later and are left disappointed? That was not the case here!!

I went again, had the pulled pork sandwich(outside meat) again. I was even better than I remembered. It is some of the best, maybe the best I've ever had. It is now my all time favorite. It is that good. It is clearly different than any other BBQ joint I've ever been too.

This is the only BBQ place in South Alabama or the Florida Panhandle that is worth driving well out of your way for.

This would have to make the list of one of the best bbq places in the south. I'll go as often as I can.
Nathan B

PostPosted: Jan 29 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the review, I will have to check them out when the family goes to Santa Rosa Beach for the 4th of July.
I C Smoke

PostPosted: Jan 29 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to check them out!! I don't know about the "only place in South Alabama and NW Florida" statement though. While I'll agree that there aren't many good Q places here, there are 2 great ones that I regularly drive 45 minutes + out of my way to eat at. There are several more in this region that I haven't tried yet (but hope to soon). To each his own though. Very Happy Very Happy
dabaxter
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Jan 31 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are those spots IC?
dabaxter
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Feb 15 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I C Smoke wrote:
I'll have to check them out!! I don't know about the "only place in South Alabama and NW Florida" statement though. While I'll agree that there aren't many good Q places here, there are 2 great ones that I regularly drive 45 minutes + out of my way to eat at. There are several more in this region that I haven't tried yet (but hope to soon). To each his own though. Very Happy Very Happy

Come on, give 'em up IC!! I know you are going to say LA BBQ for one. What's the other?
dabaxter
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Oct 23 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid Jambone another visit expecting to be disappointed. I was correct on my first impression. This place is still great and is the best BBQ joint within a 2 hour radius of Mobile/Pensacola.
gatorgrillin
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Nov 20 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

This place has closed its doors for good. Another good BBQ joint bites the dust. Too bad.
Fig Pucker
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Nov 20 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrrrrgh! I'm heading off to Ft Walton Beach in a couple of weeks and was hoping to try this place. Crying or Very sad

Any other recomendations for this area?
dabaxter
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Jan 07 2010    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your best bet is to drive west to the East River Smokehouse in Navarre or north to Smokin J's in Defuniak Springs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> BBQ Restaurant Reviews All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: