FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Smofried turkey

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WannaBePitMaster

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14 18 12:09 am    Post subject: Smofried turkey Reply with quote

We're having a Friendsgiving the weekend after Thanksgiving and I'll be doing a smofried turkey. The smoke part will be done on my Weber Smokey Mountain. The "fry" portion will be in the Char Broil Big Easy (oil less fryer) that's currently is in route from Amazon. The bird will be brined and rubbed as I've done before. This will however be my first time combining two cooking methods and would love some input from the experts. I've done some reading and it seems that there are two main methods of handling the smoke portion. Most people either smoke for a specific time period, usually an hour and a half to 2 hours. Others smoke it to a specific temperature, usually 145 IT. This where I could use some guidance. I'll be looking for a 14-16 lb bird and need to get the timing right to have it ready for dinner at 6:30ish. I'd love to hear from yalls experience how long the whole process took and how you split the smoke/fry timing.
jess
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14 18 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually do about a 15# bird. Brine over night, rub, mix rub with butter for under skin, smoke at 275-300 about 1 hr. with cherry. I have not used an air fryer. I use peanut oil at 350 for about 30- 40 min. Make sure you allow at least 30 min. to rest.
Good luck with your cook & let us know how it turns out...

BTW, since you are doing this after the holiday you can get some great deals on turkey wings. Brined, then dusted with a light spicy dry mix of Wondra flour and corn starch, deep fried, then tossed like regular wings they are great...
Natural Hattrick 3

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17 18 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jess wrote:
I usually do about a 15# bird. Brine over night, rub, mix rub with butter for under skin, smoke at 275-300 about 1 hr. with cherry. I have not used an air fryer. I use peanut oil at 350 for about 30- 40 min. Make sure you allow at least 30 min. to rest.
Good luck with your cook & let us know how it turns out...

BTW, since you are doing this after the holiday you can get some great deals on turkey wings. Brined, then dusted with a light spicy dry mix of Wondra flour and corn starch, deep fried, then tossed like regular wings they are great...

1hour is not much time to get that Smokey Flavor? Do you prefer the Cherry over Hickory?
jess
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17 18 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Cherry for the bird for the taste and color. It seems that putting a rub & butter mix under the skin helps carry the smoke flavor into the meat. It also helps crisp the skin.
As to enough time for smoke flavor, I cook on a offset stick burner - all wood. Any longer seems to over power the taste of the bird. Any longer I would use Maple. Taste & taste buds are subjective, good luck with your cook. JMHO...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: