FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Power Washing Grease Off My Porch

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Burbs
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18 09 6:22 am    Post subject: Power Washing Grease Off My Porch Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I've made quite a mess of grease on my porch this winter, and I spilled a little bit of oil that I put into my air compressor. Does anyone know what I can use to get this off? I realize I can't get it all, but I would like to get as much as possible.

Thanks,

Chris

Weber Green One-Touch Gold
Pro Q Frontier Smoker
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18 09 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris, glad to here from you Very Happy the stains will be hard to make disappear completely, but I always just use clothes soap, I wet the concrete a bit then the soap and I then use a stiff shop broom, let it sit and rinse. Some of the stains will leave but all of the residue is gone.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18 09 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is your porch constructed of? Concrete, Wood, Stone, or some other material?

For concrete, Muriatic (AKA Hydrochloric) acid does wonders when used properly.
And there are several choices in most any hardware and auto supply store that are specifically formulated for grease and oil removal from garage floors and stuff.
Burbs
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18 09 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I probably should have specified, I have a wood porch that is stained up pretty good.

Weber Green One-Touch Gold
Pro Q Frontier Smoker
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18 09 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris, there are deck cleaning concentrates you can buy at HD or Lowe's. Before I poured concrete I had a wood deck that was never treated or stained and I would wash it once a year with a 50 / 50 solution of bleach and water. Watch out for plants and grass that solution will hurt them with direct contact.
Rojellio Es Caliente
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18 09 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry Nutczak wrote:
For concrete, Muriatic (AKA Hydrochloric) acid does wonders when used properly.

Mild food grade acetic acid { Vinegar } sometimes works. I like to try that before bringing out the 'nuclear option'.
jeepdad
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19 09 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used carburetor cleaner on grease stains on my wood deck..it works. You can pick up a can at any Auto Parts place.

--jeepdad
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19 09 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wood is going to be tough to get that oil out of becuase of the porosity of the wood, and if you try to paint or stain the wood, the oil may very well alter the penetraion of the covering and it may still show up.

here is my solution, Cover the rest of the porch with the same oil so it all matches in shade and depth of color.

I like the carb cleaner idea, Although I think "Bra-Kleen" brake parts cleaner may also be a good option becuase it leaves no residue. Carb cleaner may have an oil base or carrier that could add more staining.

What ever you try, do it in an inconspicious spot first to see if it affects the color worse than the oil. or replace the offending boards.
porky 24
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19 09 8:30 pm    Post subject: power washing grease off my porch Reply with quote

hope this does'nt post to late . the carb cleaner might melt or discolor the paint i would try simple green or greased lighting or purple power first[safer and biodegradeble] then try the stronger chemicals. porky
4LittlePigs
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26 09 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Mays would tell (or yell) TRY OXYCLEAN, IT GETS OUT THE WORST GREASE STAINS!!!!!
Shocked
That guy gives me a headache!
BBQonICE
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27 09 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the laundry soap powder or liquid dishwasher soap....make a paste and scrub it down. Good for either concrete or wood. If you want first...take some kitty litter or obsorbal and grind it into the area then leave on for a day or so...then sweep away then clean it as above. Works every time.
Fatrat
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27 09 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

..or replace the board that is stained.

Brinkmann Southfork Smoker
Weber One Touch gold
Weber Performer
UDS
Cast Hibachi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: