FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recognize this smoker?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gatorbait

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04 09 8:17 am    Post subject: Recognize this smoker? Reply with quote

I found a smoker for sale locally that looked kind of interesting:

Recognize it? Is it a production smoker or a custom job?

Any thoughts on this smoker design? Pros/cons?

I'm currently using a modified SnP which does a fine job. Wish it held the held the heat a little better, though. Seems I've got to fuss with it every 30-45 minutes to keep a real constant temp.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
J0K3R-X
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04 09 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a custom job to me.. Not to sure what is going on with the firebox and the stack may be a little on the small side but I am sure in the right hands it could be made into a top notch smoker.
gatorbait

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04 09 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the firebox looks interesting. Just kind of curious about how something like it would smoke.
Johnny V
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04 09 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would check for a rusted out bottom, doesn't look like he cleans it often. I bet if ya put a bigger stack and lifted the fire off the bottom it would run good! Lower the fire box and it would be great! What do they want for it?
gatorbait

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04 09 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's asking $250. I may go check it out. Wife would kill me if I added another smoker or grill (or truck or boat or...) to the yard so something else would have to go. I had figured I would just hang on to my SnP until I got motivated enough to build my own smoker.

I don't have any experience with vertical smokers like this one so thought I would seek some expertise from the board. Figured somebody might say "Oh yeah - that's the Jimmy Smoke XYZ!!! Best smoker ever made!" Wink
purplewg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05 09 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I can see, it looks like very good craftsmanship even if the design is a bit flawed.

Don't squat with your spurs on.........
daddywoofdawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05 09 1:06 am    Post subject: Re: Recognize this smoker? Reply with quote

gatorbait wrote:
I found a smoker for sale locally that looked kind of interesting:

Recognize it? Is it a production smoker or a custom job?

Any thoughts on this smoker design? Pros/cons?

I'm currently using a modified SnP which does a fine job. Wish it held the held the heat a little better, though. Seems I've got to fuss with it every 30-45 minutes to keep a real constant temp.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I would guess it's custom or prototype.from the pic it looks like the charcoal goes all the way across the bottom if so I would block it off at the firebox to cook chamber and make the cook chamber larger by putting in more shelfs.
As far as your SnP throw a welders blanket over the cook chamber and it will help the the up and downs of your heat I did this on my char and it helped alot.
Char grill smoker
Weber kettle
Old Smoker
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05 09 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The strange configuration looks like he intended to use it for a smoker,but found out he could use it like a vertical.That looks like it could be a dampering door sticking out betwen the FB and CC. that could be dropped to close off that side of the cooker, and would explain the coals on both sides.He would also be able to add coals without opening the main door.
LIAR #29
------------------------------
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05 09 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to say that is more of a low-heat smoker for making smoked sausages, hams and other items that just need some flavor & color.

The briquette garbage on the bottom of the cook chamber has me confused on what the heck he was doing in that thing.

I like to flame baffle in the firebox, that would keep the heat down for a cold smoke.
gatorbait

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05 09 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Recognize this smoker? Reply with quote

daddywoofdawg wrote:

As far as your SnP throw a welders blanket over the cook chamber and it will help the the up and downs of your heat I did this on my char and it helped alot.

Good suggestion on the welding blanket. I tried a water heater blanket but found that the cover would melt over time. Didn't want to get a bunch of fiberglass fibers around my 'que. Most of the welding blankets look to be rated 1000F+
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: