FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

California laws regarding bbq smoker trailers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kauaigirl

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02 09 2:47 pm    Post subject: California laws regarding bbq smoker trailers Reply with quote

Anyone out there know anything about California Health Code requirements for starting a bbq smoker trailer on wheels business.Looking into this for a full-time business for my son. These are some of my questions:
Can I buy a book somewhere to learn more about this ?
What are the state of CA laws on smoke emmissions?
Do we need to rent a commercial kitchen?
Do we need a double/triple sink?
I'm in Southern California, are laws different in different counties/cities

Also anyone know any California bbq smoker trailer manufacturers in the state? Found Custom BBQ but they are very, very expensive !

Thank you for any help from members Laughing Very Happy
Skidder
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02 09 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kauaigirl try this. It's on EBay and also on Amazon and gets pretty good reviews.
http://cgi.ebay.com/HOW-TO-MAKE-MONEY-WITH-BBQ-FOOD-SALES-AT-HOME-BOOK-DVD_W0QQitemZ270387231858QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ef455bc72&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1205%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50
whitey
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02 09 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your Health Department will have most If not all the facts and info.
Look at there website.
Chicken Throwdown Champ..2010..
Almost the Biggest Liar on the "Ring"
TOPS BBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03 09 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you start buying, visit your local HD and get in writing everything that would be required to do what you want. You might have to make several trips, but it's better than getting red tagged for doing something wrong.

www.TOPS-BBQ.com (Competition Team & Caterer)

FAT 50 Ultra
500-Gal tank grill
2-UDS
1-Custom 50-gal offset smoker (horizontal)
1-Bar-B-Chef Smoker
Get Your Rub On BBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03 09 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start with your local HD before you buy anything.
kauaigirl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03 09 10:09 am    Post subject: your note Reply with quote

Skidder wrote:
kauaigirl try this. It's on EBay and also on Amazon and gets pretty good reviews.
http://cgi.ebay.com/HOW-TO-MAKE-MONEY-WITH-BBQ-FOOD-SALES-AT-HOME-BOOK-DVD_W0QQitemZ270387231858QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ef455bc72&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1205%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

thank you Skidder, I bought this last week & just received it Saturday in the mail. Great tips to get started. Makes you want to go out & buy that type of concession trailer. but right now out of my price range for starter. thanks for the info. Very Happy
kauaigirl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03 09 10:10 am    Post subject: Response Reply with quote

whitey wrote:
Your Health Department will have most If not all the facts and info.
Look at there website.

thank you Whitey ! will take your advice !!
kauaigirl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03 09 10:12 am    Post subject: BBQ question Reply with quote

TOPS BBQ wrote:
Before you start buying, visit your local HD and get in writing everything that would be required to do what you want. You might have to make several trips, but it's better than getting red tagged for doing something wrong.

Good advice, thanks I will investigate the HD thoroughly. Do you know of a bbq trailer manufacturer in California, besides Custom BBQ ?
kauaigirl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03 09 10:14 am    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

TOPS BBQ wrote:

I'm getting that answer, sounds like good solid advice Very Happy
BBQMAN
BBQ Super All Star

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03 09 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Thank you Reply with quote

kauaigirl wrote:
TOPS BBQ wrote:

I'm getting that answer, sounds like good solid advice Very Happy

It is.

Thom Emery lives in a SoCal county that doesn't allow any mobile BBQ (if memory serves me correctly).

The Catering section of this forum and a few posts in Commercial are as good as any book you might order on BBQ cooking for the public. Wink Cool

As Harry would say (and I would too), your son also needs to get some practical OJT in the food service arena as well working for someone else that does this type of work.

Good luck!
murf

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04 09 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to use a place like the caterers do with cleaning and refrigeration. Also most cities don't allow units like hot dog carts and such. We are way over regulated. It sucks.
TOPS BBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05 09 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: BBQ question Reply with quote

kauaigirl wrote:
TOPS BBQ wrote:

Good advice, thanks I will investigate the HD thoroughly. Do you know of a bbq trailer manufacturer in California, besides Custom BBQ ?

Custom BBQ takes forever and they cost $$$. They look nice, but just not worth it, IMHO. As far as California goes, other manufacturers are mainly backyarders or part time. You are probably not going to get a consistant unit out of the same person.

This is really a big investment and you probably don't want to skimp too much on the one item that is going to be a major part of your business. You just might have to bite the bullet and travel to one of the pit builders out of state or have it delivered. Of course, you can keep your eyes open for one on sale on Ebay or CL.

Good Luck!

www.TOPS-BBQ.com (Competition Team & Caterer)

FAT 50 Ultra
500-Gal tank grill
2-UDS
1-Custom 50-gal offset smoker (horizontal)
1-Bar-B-Chef Smoker
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: