FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Buy an upright or add on ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
westmichguy

PostPosted: Tue May 26 09 8:27 am    Post subject: Buy an upright or add on ? Reply with quote

I am looking for some experienced opinions here. I currently have a Kingsford barrel grill. I have completed my first succesful set of ribs this past week, and now I am looking for what I would say to be a better setup.
For the same price, I can do either of the following. A Chargriller side box and adapt it to my Kingsford grill or an ECB. With the add on, I get the surface area of my present grill to use, but am thinking there would be less "fire tending" with the ECB. Would using a side box help maintain temps for a longer period, instead of every 45 min? Or is that just the nature of the beast with my setup?
Below is what I have now and the two options I am considering.

Option 1 Side Box

Option 2 ECB
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Tue May 26 09 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

westmichguy, with the proper mods the ECB will give you longer unattended burn times. I have not posted my cook today but I used my offset for a brisket and ribs and had to fire up my WSM for the sides so having an option to cook on is always a plus. some times I have three cookers running and wishing for more Laughing The side fire box will require attention that is why I prefer my WSM.

Hybrid Cooker
westmichguy

PostPosted: Tue May 26 09 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks KAM, as usual always a quick response. I was afraid of that (having to babysit) if I added a side box. I have other things to do like actually tending to a 4mo old baby boy. Looks like the ECB may end up being the winner in the end. And if more room is needed at some time I can use my current grill to smoke on as well.
Big Ron
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue May 26 09 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not invest anymore in the Kinsford pit you have now. It is very thin metal and will require alot of tending to keep the heat and once desired temp is reached it is difficult to control for an extended period of time. The vertical will give you longer burns and less fussing with fuel. Looks like a great starter pair until you outgrow them. At that time you can invest in something a little more permanent and you should have an idea of what you will use and need. My $.02
www.bigronswebsite.com

(Find Big Ron's Rub on Facebook)
Big Ron's Custom Reverse Flow Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQxbfOx_MOE
Teleking
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue May 26 09 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, by the time you get done doing all the mods on the ECB you could have built a UDS. Hands down one of the best tried and true long burn, set it and forget it cookers out there. Not to mention more capacity than a ECB.

“The Bride of Franken Smoker”
westmichguy

PostPosted: Tue May 26 09 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that a UDS of some sort would be much better than an ECB. However I have been looking for drums through Craigslist and other local ads and have not had any luck. Instead of being too anxious for something else, I may just wait for a drum to come along. I guess that would be the smart thing to do and to continue to use my grill for my smoking occasions.
marcb

PostPosted: Wed May 27 09 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you in West Michigan? I'm originally from GR.

You could probably find a new drum or a referbed for reasonable prices.

Also try and find a local Freecycle list and post there, that's how I finally found my free one. took less than 12 hours for me once I did that. But I was ready to pull the trigger on a new unlined for about 40 which if you add a little hardware and good webber racks puts the UDS smoker at about 100 bucks.
westmichguy

PostPosted: Wed May 27 09 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I live in Grandville, just west of GR. But GR is where I grew up.

As far as the smoker, well I just bought a BBQ pro deluxe dome smoker for $69 from Sears. It will have to wait for assembly until tomorrow. Sounds like I will be pretty happy with it from what I've read here. My wife was already asking what I am going to make next. I think shes hooked after the ribs we had last week, which is great for me.

So for tonight she'll have to settle for some sizzlers on the grill.

Thx for all the great advice and opinions everyone.
marleyman
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed May 27 09 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy the BBQ PRO Dome ...I have been enjoying mine since March of this year!

Tip: Have PLENTY of beer on hand for the assembly! It takes a lil while Cool
Beer
empnero
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed May 27 09 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you'll definitely be happy with that smoker, I just got one myself and it works great. Like Marleyman said, its a PITA to assemble, make sure you've got plenty of time on your hands. And the pics in the instructions may not match exactly. The things that the grates sit on didn't look like they did in the pics.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Cookers All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: