FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any Sushi/Sashimi fanatics here?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06 09 6:31 pm    Post subject: Any Sushi/Sashimi fanatics here? Reply with quote

I absolutely love sushi, and for the last 10 years it was quite an ordeal to have sushi without special ordering fish and preparing it myself at home up until 4 days ago.

An adventerous Japanese family decided to open a sushi restaraunt in our little northwoods community!

he best way I can describe the community we live in would be to refer to the movie "The Great Outdoors", yup it is just like that!
I would be willing to bet the writers got the idea for the movie because they have visited this area of the country on vacation.
Our population in the winter months is under 5K, and it explodes to over 50K between Memorial day and labor day.

Anyways, when the GF and would go out for sushi in the past, it was no less than a 4-hour drive, and we would drop $100.00-$150.00 to stuff our maws with as much as we could, becuase we knew it would be years before we found ourselves in that area of the state again.

So this new place opened, I took her there yesterday and we ordered the "Kobe love-boat for 2"! This thing should have been named the Titanic due to it's size, and we sunk the damn thing! It is the most awesome energy boost for me having great fresh food like that. Now today we are going to compete in a rib competition for contrast. I hope we make it back in town in time to get another large order of fresh raw fish for dinner!

"Go get your Sushi on"
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06 09 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry, congrats on your new found restaurant Very Happy I love Sushi, and Mrs. K.A.M. and I are blessed with several fine places to eat at in our area. Mrs.K.A.M. does not partake with me as she Say's it looks like bait to her Laughing

Hybrid Cooker
Mr. Mojo Risin'
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06 09 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work at a restaraunt that serves sushi. (I cook on a mongolian grill and two giant woks.) So I eat free sushi a couple times a week. The restaraunt that I worked at before this also serves sushi. One of the sushi guys there also worked with me at my current restaraunt, so I got a free roll when I went in there to eat last weekend.

I actually know a lot of people who work at sushi restaruants. It seems like a new one opens up here every week.

Glad to see you finally got a place.

I don't make mistakes...just understandable bad choices.

Oklahoma Joe's Longhorn Smoker
ProBBQ Excel 20
Kteedid63
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06 09 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know that sushi stuff wouldnt be to bad if you took it home and put it on the smoker for awhile. Very Happy
I am with mrs KMA sounds like it goes on a hook in a pond.

TomCat BBQ team
AR

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07 09 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love it. Eat it a few times month. There's quite a large Asian population here in Orlando so there are sushi joints all over the place. Even some Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese, etc. restaurants serve it.

Some of my favorites (no order) - sweet shrimp, tuna belly, yellowtail, eel, smoked salmon, salmon skin (must be crispy), beef or tuna tataki, anything kobachi style, shaved bonito for a topping, baby octopus (the smaller the better), could go on, probably end up listing an entire menu. Very Happy
lantern
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07 09 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously love sushi/sashimi. Certain fish like salmon I'll eat but won't seek them out cooked regularly. But, when eaten raw they take on a whole new flavor and I can't get enough!

Save me some blue fin and sea scallops Harry! My faves by far!! Very Happy
Boombotty

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07 09 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love sushi. We make it at home quite a bit as well, it's a great time to have some friends over and have a sushi party. Pretty easy to make when you find the little tricks to help out, really pretty cheap as well.
Scott
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08 09 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am craving more already!

I guess I should have listed what came on our "loveboat for 2" (AKA the Titanic)

For rolls we had a California roll, (not something I would order for me if I had 1 choice) Spicy tuna (a favorite) Tuna with scallion rolled inside out, and also rolled in toasted Panko with Tobiko garni, and a hamachi avocado roll.

For the sushi we had Octopus, awabi shrimp, tamago (Egg) Hamachi, Fatty Tuna, eel, halibut, & Salmon,

The Sashimi section was salmon, halibut, hamachi (dolphin fish) scallop, & tuna served on fine shredded daikon radish with multi-color tobiko (Flying-fish roe) used for ganish in several spots.

I did not see miso on the menu, so we had a greens salad with ginger dressing. It was very interesting because they also had very small and strong flavored sesame in the dressing. It added a great side note to the salad.

We will usually each get some tobiko and like to add that to almost anything for the texture.

The sushi-chef could have gone heavier with the wasabi for the sushi for my tastes. And they did not have seating for a sushi-bar.

I have had only 1 item I did not care for when eating sushi, it happened a few years back.
it was a freebie while we were already eating. The chef took a small whole fish that was silver in color (it looked like a skipjack to me) filleted it chopped and seasoned the meat, garnished with fine chopped cilantro and placed it back on the carcass of the whole fish. It was very tough, and a very very strong flavor. That may have actually been better for cut-bait IMO.
The part that freaked Bobbie out is that the fishes mouth was still moving when it was set in front of us!

Skipjack; A small silver fish with a yellow tail usually caught in gulf waters off FL, they have 3 small venomous barbs by their rectal fin that sting you, and cause severe pain for a few minutes, and then your hand goes numb for an hour and feels the size of a catchers mitt. They usually travel with Spanish Mackerel.
jeepdad
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08 09 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the stuff! Glad you guys now have a place to go.

--jeepdad
Wild West BBQ
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08 09 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No place to go around here. went to a sea food bar raw, shell fish ok but the sushi was rice and seaweed wraped around a little smokey I'm not kidding you.My sister from califonia poked fun at me for days.I'll never live it down there are a few good places but they are at least an 2 hours from here glad you got one close.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: