FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Charcoal Briquettes question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Wood and Charcoal
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beer&BBQ

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27 09 9:34 am    Post subject: Charcoal Briquettes question Reply with quote

Hey Guys,

i'm having a time getting charcoal to light in a weber chimney starter. I used newspaper in the bottom, and really had a hard time getting the charcoal to light. FYI, I am using Sams choice Charcoal ( going to try lump after this bag runs out) I do not have a weed burner(plan on getting on), Any tips in regards to lighting the charcoal?
stinkpickle
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27 09 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try using fatwood sticks.
ou812warford
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27 09 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put a liitle veggie oil on the newspaper. It keeps it burning longer or try lump charcoal. It lights faster.

Oklahoma Joe 16" traditonal
weber gold 26 3/4"
sixfofalcon
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02 09 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you have too much moisture in that charcoal. While I'm not a fan of Sam's Choice briquettes, I never had any trouble getting it lit with newspaper in the chimney. It shouldn't take more than 3 half-sheets of newspaper to get any briquettes going if they have been stored in dry conditions. Did you buy it from one of the stores that keeps the charcoal outside with the potting soil and other garden stuff? Even under a roof, the charcoal picks up a lot of moisture from the humid outside air.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Wood and Charcoal All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: