FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Welding...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
J0K3R-X
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20 09 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nes_matt wrote:
One more quick question:

It seems like from my reading that MIG welding using flux core wire allows higher penetration than when using CO2 or Argon shield gas. Is this correct? The difference seems substantial depending on the source (various specs)

You are correct about the penetration using flux core. If you want good penetration I would go with a stick, plus in my opinion it is way more cost effective and sticks are very cheap compared to wire. Another thing about the stick welding they usually are way more reliable than MIG due to the fact of little or no moving parts like wire feed. You don't have to worry about bird nesting you spool and replacing tips... You can also go places with a stick that you might not be able to get with a MIG due to the limitation of the length of the wire feed gun. You can get 50ft. cables for a stick and not have to drag your whole rig right up to what you are working on.

If you know what you are doing you can also use your wire feed welder as a stick! Just connect welding cable to one of the posts, depending on if you are going reverse polarity and use the ground clamp that is already attached to the MIG. You might have to jump out the wire feed because most of the MIG's don't apply power until the trigger is pressed. Or you can get a MIG/STICK combo like this one which basically has the same feature built in.
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200355917_200355917

The Miller Bobcat is nice but $4K is abit high if you don't weld for a living but if you got the cash go for it!
XtraCheez

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20 09 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Maxstar is 120V and it is nice for stick welding (3/32 rod) small projects, but I would NEVER consider or recommend one for your trailer build. Very Happy I use mine primary for Stainless TIG.
Smoked Up
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20 09 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

XtraCheez wrote:
a stick weld is stronger that a MIG/TIG weld and much more diverse range of rod.

Says who?

My 210 Miller will weld 3/8" material in one pass. Even if you are a competant welder, you can only penetrate as deep as the material you are welding.
romex2121
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20 09 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive got a miller thunder bolt AC/DC stick welder and it works just fine on 1/4" steel. i think i paid right around $500.00 for it new,, its also very portable
ive built three smokers with it so far and all were 1/4" steel and have'nt had a problem with any weld not holding. you do need to make sure you have the power supply it needs,,, runs off a two pole 50 amp breaker.
i do use a wire feed at work from time to time and they are nice,, but im kinda partial to stick welding Rolling Eyes please dont buy a 120amp wire feed you will be nothing but dissapointed trust me on this i know,,, i bought one years ago and got so frustrated with it i gave it away Mad
daddywoofdawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20 09 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you deside to hire someone to do your welding;I went that route and it told 16hrs to build without a trailer; just legs and wheels(think patio style)
Char grill smoker
Weber kettle
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21 09 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

romex2121 wrote:
ive got a miller thunder bolt AC/DC stick welder and it works just fine on 1/4" steel. i think i paid right around $500.00 for it new,, its also very portable
ive built three smokers with it so far and all were 1/4" steel and have'nt had a problem with any weld not holding. you do need to make sure you have the power supply it needs,,, runs off a two pole 50 amp breaker.
i do use a wire feed at work from time to time and they are nice,, but im kinda partial to stick welding Rolling Eyes please dont buy a 120amp wire feed you will be nothing but dissapointed trust me on this i know,,, i bought one years ago and got so frustrated with it i gave it away Mad

I love my Thunder bolt A/C D/C. And I know for a fact it will weld all day long on 3/8'' plus. On my last build it was 24'' sch 40 I welded the end plates on with a root and cap non stop and never even came close to touching the thermal on the machine.

Hybrid Cooker
romex2121
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21 09 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:
romex2121 wrote:

I love my Thunder bolt A/C D/C. And I know for a fact it will weld all day long on 3/8'' plus. On my last build it was 24'' sch 40 I welded the end plates on with a root and cap non stop and never even came close to touching the thermal on the machine.

yep,yep mine to,,, its all the welder i need for around here,, im very happy with mine
nes_matt
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21 09 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:

I hesitated on Ebay last night and missed one with a "buy it now" price of $150... Grrrrr....
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22 09 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nes_matt wrote:
k.a.m. wrote:

I hesitated on Ebay last night and missed one with a "buy it now" price of $150... Grrrrr....

nes_matt, if it was AC. / DC. then that was a heck of a buy. Most of the time AC. only machines sell for around that.

Hybrid Cooker
nes_matt
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22 09 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was AC/DC... Confused Crying or Very sad Sad
300sniper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22 09 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

XtraCheez wrote:
a stick weld is stronger that a MIG/TIG weld

huh?
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22 09 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nes_matt wrote:

Thats tough my man sorry Sad

Hybrid Cooker
nes_matt
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22 09 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW,

While searching through CL to look at welders on the used market, I found a retired guy locally that gives welding instruction out of his home shop. He's got a variety of welding equipment and 40years as a professional welder and instructor. $45/hour instruction. Might be worth spending a few hours with him. I'm going to set up an hour this week just to get a feel.

Matt
Smoked Up
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22 09 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nes_matt wrote:
FWIW,

While searching through CL to look at welders on the used market, I found a retired guy locally that gives welding instruction out of his home shop. He's got a variety of welding equipment and 40years as a professional welder and instructor. $45/hour instruction. Might be worth spending a few hours with him. I'm going to set up an hour this week just to get a feel.

Matt

That will be money well spent. While you are at it, you should inquire if he will give you three lessons for the price of two, or something along those lines. If you have any interest in welding, I can assure you that one won't even get you well acquainted with the machine.
J0K3R-X
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22 09 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good idea! I wish I would have had some one on one time with a professional welder, would have saved me a ton of money in flap disks lol! I am still no pro at it but I think my welds are pretty good now.. I still feel more comfortable with a stick over a MIG but that is probably just because that is what I picked up first. Get your self some scrap metal and play around first to get a feel for it before you start trying to build something.. I have made alot of stupid mistakes and I will probably make some more but that is how you learn in my opinion. If you can get somebody to teach you in person with the basics you will be on the right track and it will be well worth the $$! There are also alot of real good instructional videos on YouTube for all kinds of welding.

Another thing is to ask questions like you are doing. I have bothered k.a.m. a bunch and he has always been very nice and answered my questions. I think I PM'd him maybe 10 or more times and he got right back with me with very good advice. His work is excelent so I know I am asking the right person!
Smoked Up
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22 09 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J0K3R-X wrote:

Another thing is to ask questions like you are doing. I have bothered k.a.m. a bunch and he has always been very nice and answered my questions. I think I PM'd him maybe 10 or more times and he got right back with me with very good advice. His work is excelent so I know I am asking the right person!

As have I. Poor K.A.M. can't get anything done for answering our silly questions. Mr. Green
nes_matt
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24 09 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:
nes_matt wrote:

Thats tough my man sorry Sad

Well, the CL gods smiled on my today!

I found one of these that was recommended by a friend:
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200332691_200332691

Got it for $175 (half of retail though it was missing the regulator - ~$50 to replace) and picked up a 10lb role of flux core wire to go with it.

Found the only steel I had laying around (galvanized). Made some ugly welds, then some less ugly welds, and one almost decent looking weld. I'm guessing I'm poisoning myself welding the galvanized. It makes an awful stink!! But maybe that's the flux core wire?

Anyhow, this is going to be fun!
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24 09 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nes_matt, no that would be the Galvanized metal. Do your self a favor and find some mild steel, getting sick on those fumes is no fun. Been there done that. Thats a nice little wire feed, you wont need the regulator as long as you stick with the flux core.

Hybrid Cooker
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24 09 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J0K3R-X and Smoked Up, thanks for the kind words. I am always ready and willing to help where I can. And I believe there is no such thing as a silly question so ask away, if I can help I will.

Hybrid Cooker
RedneckRocket
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24 09 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. KAM is correct. Get rid of that nasty metal, and get some mild steel. That stuff can make you very sick. Had a buddy end up in the hospital because we were welding in a factory on that stuff. We were young back then and they didn't care enough to even tell us that we were supposed to wear masks. He ended up bad sick. Great score on the welder to. You will have a great time learning on that, and it will serve you a good long time.

R.R.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Welding All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: