FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Welding...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nes_matt
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26 09 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nes_matt wrote:
Well, the CL gods smiled on my today!

I found one of these that was recommended by a friend:
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200332691_200332691

Well, I've spent some time with this welder, and I really like it. Welding is fun!

Some things I've learned:
1) Splatter burns (I'm using flux core wire)
2) go slow
3) WATCH THE PUDDLE, NOT THE ARC

I'm making some reasonable beads 80% of the time now, and started welding up a welder cart/welding table combo. Boy, what a difference welding bigger pieces of metal. I had been using little scraps that got really hot really fast, and welding on bigger/heavier pieces is MUCH easier (sigh of relief).

On a side note: I picked up an 7-1/4" abrasive metal cutting wheel (made by Norton) that mounts in the circular saw. What a handy tool combo. Clean, fast, easy cuts. A well spent 7 or 8 $$.

Matt
RedneckRocket
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26 09 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the addiction my friend. You will have many fun projects with that.

R.R.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26 09 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nes_matt wrote:
nes_matt wrote:
Well, the CL gods smiled on my today!

I found one of these that was recommended by a friend:
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200332691_200332691

Well, I've spent some time with this welder, and I really like it. Welding is fun!

Some things I've learned:
1) Splatter burns (I'm using flux core wire)
2) go slow
3) WATCH THE PUDDLE, NOT THE ARC

I'm making some reasonable beads 80% of the time now, and started welding up a welder cart/welding table combo. Boy, what a difference welding bigger pieces of metal. I had been using little scraps that got really hot really fast, and welding on bigger/heavier pieces is MUCH easier (sigh of relief).

On a side note: I picked up an 7-1/4" abrasive metal cutting wheel (made by Norton) that mounts in the circular saw. What a handy tool combo. Clean, fast, easy cuts. A well spent 7 or 8 $$.

Matt

Matt, I am glad you are enjoying welding. Very Happy you might find a local welding supply and see if they have some greens, basically nomex welding shirts. They help against the spatter and sunburns on your arms. The larger pieces of metal take longer to cool, don't ask me how I know this I just do Laughing
Save your pennies and get one of these saws. Cold cuts are better but a lot more expensive, and its not a good Idea to put an abrasive wheel on your wood chop saw, don't ask me how I know this I just do.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productList&N=4294961544&Ne=4294967294&Ntk=i_products&Ntt=chop+saws

Hybrid Cooker
RedneckRocket
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26 09 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the chop saws like that. I also have the small JET horizontal and verticle band saw that Menards carries. I have had very good luck with it, and it takes up little room.

R.R.
nes_matt
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26 09 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

k.a.m. wrote:
Matt, I am glad you are enjoying welding. Very Happy you might find a local welding supply and see if they have some greens, basically nomex welding shirts. They help against the spatter and sunburns on your arms. The larger pieces of metal take longer to cool, don't ask me how I know this I just do Laughing
Save your pennies and get one of these saws. Cold cuts are better but a lot more expensive, and its not a good Idea to put an abrasive wheel on your wood chop saw, don't ask me how I know this I just do.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productList&N=4294961544&Ne=4294967294&Ntk=i_products&Ntt=chop+saws

Do you have any limbs left?! :LOL:

Thanks for the tip on the saw. You think there are any issues with the abrasive blade in the circular saw? It's made for it, so I assume it's ok...
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26 09 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nes_matt, I think you should be fine with the circular saw and abrasive blade, as long as the shield is metal. That is the problem with wood chop saws mostly. The shield is clear plastic and most have a break that is designed for short interval cuts not long hot cuts. And yes I still have all my digits, but I also have really good doctors on speed dial. Laughing

Hybrid Cooker
nes_matt
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06 09 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've got about 15 feet of weld bead under my belt with the Northern Tool welder. It's doing pretty darn good. I'm doing ok (after the first 6 feet or so of weld!) and getting better.

I was feeling like I just wasn't getting good penetration, it was ok, but not great. When I ground back the welds I wasn't getting more than an 1/8" or so into the 1/4 plate and determined I needed better weld prep (bevelling, etc.). But one thing I couldn't figure out is why the welder never over heated. I'd weld and weld waiting for the thermal shut off to trip and it wouldn't - the thing kept chugging along as though it were an industrial duty cycle machine. I was (every 20 minutes or so) tripping the breaker in the garage, which was very annoying, so today I wired in a dedicated 20A outlet.

WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! Guess what, Ohms law works! I was getting a significant voltage drop along the circuit I had been using, but when I went right to the breaker panel on a 20A line with 10 gauge wire and a good 20A outlet, suddenly this welder was a new machine! It was like I turned up the welder another click on the dial! And the thermal shut off started kicking in right on schedule, indicating I was truly running more power through the machine than before.

The lesson: To get the most out of your welder wire a dedicated outlet for it and use short, large gauge extension cords if you use an extension at all. Huge, huge difference. Almost makes up for all the little splatter burns on my arms!

Matt

k.a.m. wrote:
nes_matt, I think you should be fine with the circular saw and abrasive blade, as long as the shield is metal. That is the problem with wood chop saws mostly. The shield is clear plastic and most have a break that is designed for short interval cuts not long hot cuts. And yes I still have all my digits, but I also have really good doctors on speed dial. Laughing

Well, having spent some quality time with this cut off blade, all I can say is "bleh..." Definitely leaves much to be desired. Off to CL to see if I can find a second hand Sawzall...
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06 09 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt, you might look into just getting a O/A setup. That way you have some heat if you need to bend something. I would love to have a plasma cutter but believe me if I was given the choice of one or the other, hands down a torch is the only cutting tool I need for carbon steel.

Hybrid Cooker
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Welding All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: