FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

O/T Miller 212 welder

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Capt Chrysler
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18 09 7:03 am    Post subject: O/T Miller 212 welder Reply with quote

Hey Folks,

Anybody spent anytime with the "New" autoset Miller 212 welder?

Didn't get a real warm and fuzzy feeling with the "Auto Set", but I bought one anyway.

Capt. Chrysler
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18 09 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capt Chrysler, I have heard pretty good reviews on it but I have not used one personally. I hope to here back on this and read what you think of it.

Hybrid Cooker
Capt Chrysler
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18 09 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello k.a.m.,

Well it's been about 9 years from the last job with any welding. So I think there might be a relearning curve ahead.

Also these freaking 2 speed glasses don't seem to make it any !?@#$!!!! better.

Capt. Chrysler
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18 09 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capt Chrysler, morning. When I started wearing trifocals it made watching my puddle very difficult, that is when I went to the auto hood and I have a 1.50 cheater lens in it that helps a lot. Getting old stinks Laughing

Hybrid Cooker
Dace
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18 09 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish for a mig...any mig. For the last 2 years I've been using an old buzz box stick welder. The thing is wicked old but it does the job quit nicely. I can switch the polarity for thinner metals also. Thinking about it now, I kinda like the buzz box.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18 09 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dace, same here. I weld with a miller thunder bolt A/C D/C in my home shop. I welded stick for around 30 years off and on doing fab work. I do wish for a small MIG for sheet metal work, I have few patiences left welding super thin materials with stick it seems now a days Laughing I think each has their place in a shop no doubt.

Hybrid Cooker
purplewg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18 09 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Miller 212 but not the autoset. I love it. I also have a Hobart 140 and hate it. It has never fed wire properly since I got it and it really isn't hot enough either.

Don't squat with your spurs on.........
WestTnbum
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18 09 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the Miller 212 with the auto feed and just could not make it work for me. I bought the Lincoln 140C and love it, it is great for doing light stuff and I can run gas or flux. The best part is I can just plug up to any 110V outlet.
Danny
Hell Fire Grill
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18 09 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Capt.

If you want that welder to give you a warm fuzzy feeling.........Try welding in the rain.
BabyHuey
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18 09 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the pre "auto set" 212 for my shop and love it (my recomendation BTW Very Happy ). Time will tell if the auto set will hold up. Miller has a good R&D program, but I find it hard to believe you can beat a tap switch. Personally I like to be able to tweak the settings so I don't know if the auto set would be for me, however you have that option. I have had some limited experience with the 212 auto-set, but it hasn't been out long enough for anyone to give a opinion on it's durability in the field.

Miller is tailoring more and more of their products to the novice or inexperienced welder (Auto Set/Diversion 165 Tig, Spectrum). These machines allow a very limited experienced welder run a bead of weld or make a cut. Whether the welds have the proper penetration, holding strength, or aesthetic properties no longer seems to be a priority as much as get a welding machine into every garage. For welders that have spent a good amount of time educating themselves through school, and the field, it is really a slap in the face to put a machine out that requires no basic knowledge to set up. It is similar to comparing a novice BBQ'er with a pellet smoker to a wood burner and seasoned pit master. However when it comes to welds there are many safety factors involved.

Sorry for the rant, but I see home built traliers, hitches, racks, and other stuff being built by the "instant welder" and then put on the road for someone to get hurt. Rolling Eyes Mad

Now, that I have that behind me. Very Happy Miller supports their products better than any other weld machine manufacture on the market today, Hobart following a close 2nd. did you consider the 211? It has a reduced duty cycle, but is portable and will plug into a standard 110 outlet when you are in a pinch.

Good luck and congrats on the new welder!

Link to my pit build slideshow:

http://s333.photobucket.com/albums/m398/LilBabyHuey/?action=view¤t=4675c7d7.pbw
Capt Chrysler
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18 09 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instant welders…A 110 V mig in the sale ads last night for $99.99?!?!?!

……………Kinda like when I was in automotive, low guy in the shop with the least training was the brake guy. I all wondered why the job that could easily kill/hunt someone was at that level. Sure up set some folks when I got the service managers job! O well no brake failures under my command.

Capt. Chrysler
BabyHuey
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19 09 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capt Chrysler wrote:
Instant welders…A 110 V mig in the sale ads last night for $99.99?!?!?!

……………Kinda like when I was in automotive, low guy in the shop with the least training was the brake guy. I all wondered why the job that could easily kill/hunt someone was at that level. Sure up set some folks when I got the service managers job! O well no brake failures under my command.
Capt. Chrysler

Service Manager, Sir you have my upmost respect. That is a job that requires some BIG shoulders. I bet you could tell some stories! I've always wondered how a service manager could bite his tongue when the know it all came in and told him how to fix his car.... Laughing Laughing

Link to my pit build slideshow:

http://s333.photobucket.com/albums/m398/LilBabyHuey/?action=view¤t=4675c7d7.pbw
Capt Chrysler
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19 09 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've always wondered how a service manager could bite his tongue when the know it all came in and told him how to fix his car....
Heck that was easy. You tell them what it will cost to fix (their way). Most of the time this will wind them up tighter. Then you tell them that you can save them some money, this is where you let them know what really is wrong. Most of the time they have been to a couple of other shops and spent a load of good money for bad information.

Service Manager = Running a day care, only the kids are taller!

This came from a very good customer. After he watched another customer throw/bounce his keys off the service counter into my chest.

Because I caused his head gasket to go out? Mid 80's 2.2 Turbo + 40k miles = head gasket. When we got the car done I took the keys and put them in my pocket, not with the ticket at the office. Just a note on the ticket to see me. Shocked Whole different fellow at 6:30 with no one else around!?

Stressfull but enjoyable, now I run a manufacturing plant. Exclamation Idea

Capt. Chrysler
Smoked Up
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19 09 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 210 Miller and couldn't be happier with it. It will weld up to 3/8" with a single pass. How often do you ever weld anything thicker than that? For me, never.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Welding All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: