FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Update

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kjwalker
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02 06 5:54 am    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

Just thought I would update progress of Bubba's Texas-style Bar-B-Que and Saloon here in Shanghai.

Early last week we nailed down the location and immediately started drawing up plans for renovation work. The day after we signed, the local health inspection bureau was to come and approve the previous license for another year. We were warned against doing anything major until after this inspection because then it might lead to the bureau asking us to get these things you guys back home call "permits." Rolling Eyes

This inspection, unfortunately, failed because accoring to the inspector...the kitchen needed two more sinks and also a larger dish sanitizer. Two more sinks? One couldn't even hardly walk around the kitchen it is so small and filled with equipment...but alas, this is the inspector and this is China.

So, two more sinks appeared and were hooked up in about two hours, in a very haphazardous way. It actually looked rediculous and I couldn't imagine the inspection passing the second time around. And the dish sanitizer...it was the size of a small fridge and you literally has to squeeze by it to get to the cooking area.

Keep in mind that I, as a foreigner, am not a part of the process or do I even show my face during these types of things. If I were to be there, then the rules would have changed completely and perhaps even "China" money required to get approval. Foreigners are very much treated differently because people see $$$ when they look at us.

Anyway, it did pass on this second time around and a few days ago a crew moved in and started tearing the place apart. I have a lot of pictures for a before and after and will take pictures throughout the renovation period.

We are expanding the kitchen by double and building walk-in fidge and freezer rooms. All of the windows in the entire building will be changed. The bar downstairs will be moved to the center of the room. We are building a second bar on the second floor. An office and employee change room will go on the roof. There will also be a front porch/deck with outdoor seating.

Just wait until the inspector sees this place next year....! Surprised

There will also be handpaintings of some good antique "bbq joint" type signs, like Texaco, Coke, Lonestar Beer, etc.

Any ideas on this would be appreciated. Since I am over here, I will have to create a blank canvas from which to decorate as we go along as this type of stuff isn't readily available obviously. I thought about going back home and fill a small container at a flea market, but have pretty much decided against doing that.

I will just build it slowly. If any of y'all have plans to come out to Shanghai, throw a little decoration something in a box and bring it with you!

KJ
Home of NCAA Football in China
Host of Shanghai Chili Cook-off
wnkt
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11 06 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sprinkle a few local implements in there. Old rusty farm stuff like some of the "Western themed" steak houses do here...heck a pitchfork is a pitchfork even if it does speak Chinese.

Get some of the metal workers or woodcarvers there to whip something up. ( most of our stuff is made in china now anyways) Get pictures of stuff online you like and see if they can make something like it.
You dont have to have Brand names........Change the names to protect the innocent and all that Very Happy

Hope this helps
manonlook

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11 06 9:14 am    Post subject: update Reply with quote

KJ,

When I opend my restaurant in Europe I have found a shop that had steel plates for the wall with all American brand name products including car number plates highway rout 55 and so on..........

My opinion is as I have been number of times in China..
stick with American brands like coke,mustards,sauces ..etc from the past.

Regards

Milman
jhlewis10

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20 06 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with your new venture!

We adopted babies twice in China, Jiangsu and Jiangxi provence.

I wish we had BBQ when we were there. I will spread the word to those I know are going to Shanghi.

I look forward to going back (as a tourist)

How did you end up there?

Jeff
kjwalker
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21 06 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did I end up here? I came to Asia about 10 years ago and just fell in love with everything....culture, lifestyle, people, opportunity. I moved back to Texas about 3 years ago but missed Asia so much that we packed up and headed back! LOL
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Fri May 12 06 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Myself, I could not ever imagine leaving Texas again. I left 3 times and always could not wait to get back.

Your situation is what it is though and if it works for you then that is what matters most.

I dont even know you but I am excited for you. I really hope it works out for you and turns you into a millionaire (or whatever they call it over there). I really really want to see pictures and hear updates about it. Have you named it yet?

Do you speak Chinese?

How are you going to train your employees?

Are you going to bend to their taste or are you going to make it "Western BBQ"?

Do many people speak English over there?
kjwalker
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri May 12 06 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, maybe my brother's right about me blogging, which would help answer a lot of questions just like yours. Laughing

Anyway, I will answer what I think is the most important of your questions and then maybe I will do a blog with photos that talks about this experience overall. By they way, I have tried to post pictures....but they came out HUGE. I guess I need to resize them, but what size? Anybody?

Okay, the que will be authentic Texas-style barbeque and I will not get away from that to any large degreem, at least the main menu items. Exceptions will obviously be pulled pork, which I've never seen on a menu in Texas (amazing, because at the end of the day, it's still barbeque).

On top of that, I will do specials that will allow me to add fish to the menu and also use some local ingredients to different meats to use a promos. For instance, plum-wood smoked duck or pork using star anise, five spice, plum based 'que sauce, etc.

Anyway, maybe a blog would be worthwhile.

KJ

PS -- the name is Bubba's Texas-style Bar-B-Que and Saloon
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri May 12 06 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go KJ,

http://www1.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2909&highlight=photos
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Sat May 13 06 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats awesome. Pretty soon those Chinese fellows will be walking around with cowboy hats and talking with a drawl. I am laughing while that picture is in my head.

You know, I never even heard of pulled pork until I started visiting these BBQ forums. I dunno, Ive never had any so I really cant say what it taste like. Keep us up to date on the venture. It sounds like fun and I hope the best for you.
kjwalker
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat May 13 06 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's actually a great cut of meat for the smoker. big, good amount of fat, takes in the smoke flavor very nice. not sure why we never smoked that in Texas, maybe we like our beef too much.

think of a chopped beef sandwich, but made with pork. look it up in these forums and try one next time you light a fire. kw
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Commercial BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: