FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lump or Chunks?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
willy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15 06 12:39 am    Post subject: Lump or Chunks? Reply with quote

I been using Chunks of Mesquite to grill with for the last year. I love the heat and the taste I get now but should I try lump in stead of the chunks?
I like that with the chunks I can have a hot spot by arranging the chunks around by size. I usually have one or two chunks on fire while the smaller ones are just ashed over. Seems to help if I want to crisp up a steak for someone. I know that may sound weird but the girlfriend likes hers to have an almost burnt crust while the center remains pink. So at the end I just set it over the fire for a few secs and wham. Anyway, just wondering about the lump.
zilla
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15 06 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's worth while to learn to use lump. If I were you and had the wood fire technique down I would stick with it, that makes your cooking unique because so very few guys grill over live wood coals. Also the lump will not give the great flavor of Mesquite. Stick with the wood but learn the lump just because and maybe for some types of fish. Wink

GIANT BBQ
RICK_IN_LB
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16 06 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to go with Zilla. The taste of Mesquite is really different, sort of sweet and smells good. I use both and change as I feel the need, I have done beef, pork, chicken and LAMB Very Happy on both with good results. Play with both because you never know when you will come across a goooood price.

With the sunspots in a decline I should get more time to Q when work slows down.

Enjoy and buy more cigars Cool
tank

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20 06 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I am the only person who visits this forum, who isn't smitten with lump. I've used it & find it doesn't stay hot long enough. I find that wood chunks or split longs work better So, like Zilla say's, stick with the wood. Personally, I use straight wood or a charcoal wood mix. To me, the food tastes much better.

Can somebody explain what I am missing about lump? Or is lump just the "in" thing to use?
JimH
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20 06 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lump produces much less ash than charcoal when you are doing a long smoking session.
wnkt
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21 06 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lump doesnt give off chemicals when lighting so it can be added to a fire unlit and not get those chemicals on your food. For example, throwing a few briquettes of Matchlight on the fire in mid-cook would make your food taste like lighter fluid.
Rub N Smoke
BBQ Pro

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22 06 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lump I use (B&B) helps keep my temp. more consistent over a long smoke. B&B also comes in Mesquite, although I use the Oak. Check it out at www.bbcharcoal.com Twisted Evil
4320/ Tejas Cooker
My 7 year old Daughters E-Z Bake Oven (only in Emergencies)
Check out: www.myspace.com/cookinwitalittlespit
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Grilling All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: