FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newb question for UDS / Charcoal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
knackjack

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25 09 11:41 pm    Post subject: Newb question for UDS / Charcoal Reply with quote

I am drumming around with building a UDS.

I have a GOSM smoker now that is ran by propane.

I am a green horn when it comes to charcoal.

Can someone tell me how much charcoal a person would use to smoke for X hours.. is there a formula?

When I cook my ribs I run for about 6-7 hours and when I do chicken or pork loin I am running about 2-3 hours.

I've seen many varations of the UDS but does anyone suggest a specific plan for a newb ?

Thanks!
Beertooth
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26 09 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

knackjack I don't have a UDS but I have done a few charcoal cooks in my day. Smile

I think what it comes down to is building a UDS, using it and finding out what works in certain weather conditions. It will depend on what kind of charcoal you use as well.

Maybe some of the people on here that have a UDS can give you an idea.
18.5" WSM (Stoked)
22.5" WSM
85 Gallon UDS
Weber Smokey Joe/Mini WSM
Cast Iron Cookware
24" Disc Cooker
Masterbuilt 40" Electric
Char-Griller Akorn
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26 09 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

knackjack, as Robert was saying there are a few variables to consider. On a conventional UDS with what is considered a standard basket, which would hold about 8 to 9lbs. of charcoal I have read where they will burn well past 12hr's I built Mrs.K.A.M.'s with a higher lid and larger basket. I have found that bigger has its disadvantages, it burns great but uses a lot of fuel. I attribute this to the larger lid allowing more air in the drum and also the larger basket, These are just my observations, and if I build another I will build it to the more original design.

Hybrid Cooker
Toga
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27 09 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have experimented with mine pretty extensively and have found how much fuel depends on the the weather conditions. In cold weather (15 degrees or so) I used just under a pound of briquettes on the average per hour. In warm weather I use just shy of 3/4 of a pound of briquettes per hour. I recently switched to using lump noticed weight wise I use less than half the weight in lump as I did using briquettes.

UDS
ECB x2
Gasser
Teleking
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27 09 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry how much you put in the basket. Fill it and use until the food is done and snuff the fire and save the charcoal for the next cook.

My basket is big compared to some at 16"dia 10" tall. I haven't tried but guessing I could get close to 24 hours on a full basket.

and I only use LUMP.

“The Bride of Franken Smoker”
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> General BBQ Discussion All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: