FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ok! one more question!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
olliedog

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20 09 9:44 pm    Post subject: ok! one more question!!! Reply with quote

i am narrowing down my choice for a stuffer.
anyone ever use one from gander mountain?
they have a 15 pounder on sale. stainless steel with metal gears.
i guess for the price i gotta give it a try!!
Mesquitebean

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21 09 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got my 15 lb stuffer from Gander Mountain a week ago. Haven't used it yet but I can tell you it is a very solid piece of equipment. I did a lot of shopping around and it seemed like the best deal for the $$. Especially for a unit with steel gears. I honestly can't see how it would be any different than the stuffers selling for twice the money.

A side note: the handle on the crank was cracked when I pulled it out of the box. I called the toll free # on the instructions and they shipped a new handle asap. I was very impressed with their service....
olliedog

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21 09 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i gotta go with it! steel gears and half the price!! only question i have is how much meat gets left after it bottoms out!!!!

thanks!!!
Mesquitebean

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21 09 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm curious about how much is left in the bottom of can too. I need to get off my tail and make a batch of soon so I can find out for myself.
One other thing I just thought of.... some of the reviews for the stuffer said that the stuffing tubes were flimsy and were prone to cracking. The tubes seem sturdy to me but since I haven't used them yet I really don't know. To avoid having a busted tube in the middle of making a batch I went ahead and bought a steel tube from www.sausage-stuffer.com. They had cheaper SS tubes than a lof of other places I looked.
Good luck with your purchase.
Harry Nutczak
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22 09 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the measurement of the base of the stuffing horns, with a stuffer that size you may want to upgrade to longer stainless tubes to make your life easier.
Make sure you can get accessory stuffing horns that fit that model. The difference between stainless and plastic is a world of difference when filling it with casings.

I use a 5# model with plastic gears, it works nice and seems to be holding up well, but the first thing I did is upgrade to metal horns. The plastic makes it tough to get casing on, and the snag when filling. The only leftovers I am seeing are what stops in the horn at the bottom of the stroke. Does that 15# unit have 2-speed gearing for a quick up-stroke, that is nice to have also.

I am in the market for a larger stuffer, and a mixer that I can attach to my grinder unit for power, so please post your review on that stuffer soon. I am amazed at what the manual models from F.Dick cost. It is insanely expensive for their products IMO
BBQonICE
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05 09 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 15lb model with steel gears from Northern Tool. Works great.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Sausage Making All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: