FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

If your new to Welding read this thread!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlaudio29

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22 09 9:09 am    Post subject: If your new to Welding read this thread! Reply with quote

Well, today i made some videos to explain a little bit about MIG welding. A fellow ring member messaged me and asked me for some tips so i figured id make some vids and now im gonna post them.

This is only for MIG, and please anyone who has been welding a while please feel free to add more information to this as it will only add to the help it will offer!

Stick welders, if you want to do a little write up and mabe some vids ill update this with that info as well.

Ok So first a My gloves. I do not use standard length Mig gloves, i use really LONG cuffed mig gloves. Reason for this is because i live in florida and its not fun to work outside in long sleeves, i can wear short sleeves and these will come up to the edge of my sleeve, so when im welding im protected, and when i take them off i stay nice and cool. The only cost $16 from mcmaster

Ok so this first video is to explain what the two diffrent ways i use to lay down a bead with a MIG. Like is say in the vid this is not the only way to do it.

http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q261/jlaudio29/?action=view&current=102_2603.flv

Second video i am showing you the result of the first method i described on the first video.

http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q261/jlaudio29/?action=view&current=102_2604.flv

Third video is the result of the second technique i described in the first video.

http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q261/jlaudio29/?action=view&current=102_2605.flv

Forth video is thick to thin, thin being on the bottom, the its a short vid because i ran out of space on my memory card. Youll notice the bead looks curved, this is because the 1/8th inch peice i used was curved, it was a drop i had left from bending some strip to match my drum. But this was a continuous bead no blow through. All you do is your just going to want to keep the tip of the arc pointed more towards the thicker metal and as the puddle builds it will cover over onto the thing stuff very nicely.

http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q261/jlaudio29/?action=view&current=102_2606.flv

Please feel free to post question, and if need be i may make some more videos if people request certain things that are easier shown in a video.

I wanted to be able to actually show the welding process as i was doing it but i can not find my extra welding mask to pull the darkening sheild out of it to put infront of the camera!

Thanks, I really hope this helps!
Cody Pendant

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22 09 6:09 pm    Post subject: 2 thumbs up! Reply with quote

Thanks, jlaudio29, I think this thread will help allot of folks allot.
It will be even better when you get your vids of actual in-progress welding.

You might see if you can pick up one of the large lenses for your camera, like one of the 4 or 5 by ones, or even one of the hand held shields and mount it in a cardboard box to protect the camera while you weld.
just a suggestion.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22 09 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jlaudio29, I like this Very Happy You have done a great thing here. I often have questions asked of me and pictures or in this case videos speak a thousand words. As a lot of members know I do not weld with a wire feed so I am somewhat limited on that subject when asked specifics. It is also hard for guys trying to learn and going to welding forums asking questions getting hammered by welding forum guys that almost will always say do a search or nit pick a weld to pieces, they seem to forget that if the person knew the answer they would not be asking.

Hybrid Cooker
daddywoofdawg
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22 09 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KAM that is so true I told a stick welding class in the 80's and haven't welded since but now that I'm a smokeahalic I want to build one more grill as soon as the current one is done.Up to 4 smokers and a couple of grills ya I have it bad.LOL. But it's hard to get info if you know how then there happy to tell you but if your a newbie they say search or go to a class.none around here or I would of.So we need these kinda videos.
Char grill smoker
Weber kettle
jlaudio29

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23 09 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the positive feedback!

Yah i find that a common response given to people that want to start welding is "take a class" now that is not a horrible idea, however i have never taken a class, But i have done my research, and asked a lot of questions along the way and have been doing it for a long time.

Kam yah videos make things so much easier to explain that is why i made them, the person that asked for the help didnt want me to go out of my way but honestly it make it so much easier with a video to show you the correct motion of how to move the torch.

Cody im going to work on trying to get a new lense and make some sort of case. the vids i have posted will help out a ton but if i can get some of me actually laying the bead.. it will be even better!

Kam if you want to do a stick right up and PM it to me, ill throw it in the main post there, and mabe we can get this post STICKY so anyone that comes in the forum be able to find it.
k.a.m.
BBQ Mega Star

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24 09 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jlaudio29, I will try to work on that this weekend. I am not sure what this weekend holds but I will try. Smile

Hybrid Cooker
Kymike
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24 09 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks jlaudio29 that helped me a bunch. I'll be watching for updates Very Happy
mtrammel
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30 09 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I very much appreciated this post as I try to learn...
Great job jlaudio29. Big fan of your current build.
UDS
Tom C
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30 09 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea on the videos. Having done both stick and wire welds I think the wire feed is easy to learn. Really cool if you use a shield gas.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Welding All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: