FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New South BBQ
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Wed May 03 06 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawg,
I’m’ doing this out of love but I once ran an advertising agency for a few years. You might want to re-think the “New South” name. As a recognizable term (both which have negative connotations) it might not represent your product in a good light. Dawg’s Bone Sauce might be a better choice. This is just my opinion, and everyone has one. You want to pick a name that does not offend anyone (much) and makes the product recognizable and memorable.
BBQ Nut
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed May 03 06 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a word of caution Dawg. I have seen a BBQ sauce at our local grocery stores, Ingles, Bi-Lo, that carry a sauce with the name New South. It is not very good! I decided to give it a try and it had the after taste of lighter fluid. Any way, the next time I see it, I'll try and get the website and you can see it their are any conflicts. You may know the name. The sauce originates in Georgia.
BBQ Nut
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Wed May 03 06 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, the name of the sauce I was thinking about was Georgia South, not New South. Sorry for the mix up.
DawgPhan
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed May 03 06 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the input...
mding38926
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Wed May 03 06 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawg....good luck my man............I think it is awesome that you are gonna give it a go..........
Reflect
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri May 05 06 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So are you going private label or doing it yourself (Being cooking, botteling, labeling, etc)?

Who did you use for the FDA nutrion breakdown out of cuirosity, that one is a few bucks, always looking for soemthing less expensive.

Great luck to you,

Brian
DawgPhan
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 05 06 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reflect wrote:
So are you going private label or doing it yourself (Being cooking, botteling, labeling, etc)?

Who did you use for the FDA nutrion breakdown out of cuirosity, that one is a few bucks, always looking for soemthing less expensive.

Great luck to you,

Brian

I am going to the copacker route and the copacker is going to help us do all of the label stuff..

I know that UGA will do the nutritional breakdown for around $50....so that isnt too bad...if you are paying more than that you might want to check out the university...
Reflect
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri May 05 06 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UGA?? What is that and do you have a contact?

Yes, I found a private company that you send your recipe to, after a NDA. They in turn do the breakdown and create the BMP file for the label.

If you don't mind me asking, as I think it will help others, could you list what items you needed to do to get the product legally sellable along with pricing? I'm not lazy, I want to compare notes to see if there are less expensive options for me.

I appreciate it.

Take care,

Brian
Hogwild
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Fri May 05 06 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume he means University of Georgia. Most land-grant universities should have something similar. Contact either the Ag Extention office or the Food Science Department. Some Unis will differ on which department actually does it.

i'm sure Dawg will give you exact contact info for UGA though.
DawgPhan
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 05 06 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.efsonline.uga.edu/EFS_NFB/New%20Food%20Business.htm#Nutritional%20Label

check this site out..it should have must of the information that you need.

I was lucky enough to find a co-packer that is willing to work with me getting all of the saftey testing, labels, and batch labeling done..
JimH
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 05 06 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you come up with a sauce that is real hot you can call it Dawg "Unleashed". Rate your sauces by number of Dawg bites, the unleashed you can rate as a "mauling". Apologies to anyone actually mauled by a dog.
Big Brother Smoke
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Fri May 05 06 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a definition of "New South." Perhaps it will be helpful...Anyways I I was curious.

"New South is a term that has been used intermittently since the American Civil War to describe the American South, in whole or in part. The term "New South" is often used in contrast to the Old South of the antebellum period. "
DawgPhan
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 05 06 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Brother Smoke wrote:
Here is a definition of "New South." Perhaps it will be helpful...Anyways I I was curious.

"New South is a term that has been used intermittently since the American Civil War to describe the American South, in whole or in part. The term "New South" is often used in contrast to the Old South of the antebellum period. "

Question
Hogwild
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Fri May 05 06 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DawgPhan wrote:
Big Brother Smoke wrote:

Question

What he means is that the term "New South" was given to the South after Reconstruction. Old South=Slavery; New South=freed slaves.

I'm not sure that was what Alien was referring to, though. He may have meant that some may think of the New South something other than where we grew up. Basically, Yanks takin' over Twisted Evil Twisted Evil ...or he could've meant somthin' else...don't know.

PS-- Antebellum just means before the war
Alien BBQ
BBQ All Star

PostPosted: Fri May 05 06 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The term “new south” means many things to many people, and that was my apprehension in using the name. The “New South” has been a term to reference after the civil war (which I was not referring to), the south after the invasion of carpet baggers, post Barry Goldwater ideology, the geopolitical change from democrats, to a predominately republican ideology, post civil rights movement diversification, introduction of “new age” mysticism and post Regan Christian conservatism. The point I was try to make is that in choosing a name for your product or company, you want to choose one that does not have multiple meaning to different people. The more people you don’t offend, the bigger your client base. A good example would be if you named your BBQ sauce “Pimp Juice” Although not offensive to many, you would alienate many of your prospective clientele. The whole idea behind marketing is to sell as much of your product as possible. The whole idea behind my post was to raise Dawgs awareness to the multiple meanings of the term.
Hogwild
BBQ Super Fan

PostPosted: Fri May 05 06 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kina like "Pimp Juice". Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy If'n I go into business I may just have to use it. Wink Very Happy
bigabyte
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 05 06 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that line of thinking. I have a nice sweet and flavorful habanero BBQ sauce that has quite the afterburners on it from the habs. I was thinking that if I ever put a name to it, I would call it "Satan's Hemmorhoids". But then I figured maybe that wasn't such a good idea.
Jeff T
BBQ Super Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 05 06 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing Ya all are too much......... Laughing
BiteMe

PostPosted: Fri May 05 06 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Luck Dawg! I hope you sell tons of sauce. We have been doing the co-packer thing for a couple of years now. Be sure to get a confidentialty agreement to protect your sauce reciepe. Also we get insurance thru the co-packer for the product for a one time fee of $50.00. If you need a label design doen for a resonable cost try logoworks. They are an on-line graphics firm that does great work for nice prices. I like the dog but you might want to have a professional label design done. They did our logo for about $500 and we got unlimited revisions. I wish you the best of luck. Keep us posted so we can order some to try.
Mike
Big Brother Smoke
BBQ Fan

PostPosted: Sat May 06 06 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When fishing we refer to "pimp juice" as fish attractant Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Smoke Ring Forum Index -> Commercial BBQ All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: